Hello John et al,

Both b43 and b43legacy fail to load on bcm4318 for a while now, while it used
to work (with known issues) more or less
fine. The issue started happening not long before ssb united the support of b44
as well. Therefor, I noticed the difference
soon, because I am not able to use ndiswrapper instead anymore (it does not
like ssb, and my NIC, b44, does not like
ssb missing either).

dmesg looks like the below:

b43-phy1: Broadcom 4318 WLAN found
b43-phy1 debug: Found PHY: Analog 3, Type 2, Revision 7
b43-phy1 debug: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, Version 0x2050, Revision 8
phy1: Failed to select rate control algorithm
phy1: Failed to initialize rate control algorithm
b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -2

Currently this is latest rawhide kernel, but has been happening for awhile
(since, at least, 2.6.22.5, where ssb was not yet merged and I still able to
use ndiswrapper.

Any hint to debug/investigate it appreciated. It does not look like hw
malfunction, since ndiswrapper,
when able to load, still works fine.

--
Sincerely, Vitaly