Alexander Koeppe wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> I'm using Gentoo Linux (2.6.23) on a Apple iBook and was very happy that
> my wireless chip is supported.
> After installation everything seems to be OK and working fine.
> But when the distance to my AP ascends to more than 4 meters, the
> connection seems to be down or unstable. Sometimes its also unstable at
> a distance of 2 meters.
> I also changed the transmission channel on my AP without result.
>
> I investigated a bit using wireshark and found that the device is
> sending ARP who-is broadcast packets that are not seen on the normal
> cable network , where it should be normally because no L3 device
> between. So transmission gives up because my notebook is'nt able to find
> the correct MAC address for the a desired IP.
>
> I searched the net and found that the driver in relation with the 4318
> chipset has some transmission issues but a fix has been announced for
> the 2.6.19 kernel release.
>
> Is there something I can do?

You can start by telling us what kernel you are using (uname -r) and the
results of 'dmesg | grep
bcm' and 'dmesg | grep b43'. I'm sorry, but I do not know what kernel every
distro is using.

All versions of bcm43xx has some problems with the 4318. Only with b43 were
those problems fixed.
That driver does not appear in mainline until 2.6.24.

Larry