On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 21:38 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

> The short version of my results is that patches have been submitted and
> accepted to fix all known problems with b43legacy when using 802.11b devices.
> I also submitted the patches needed for implementation of 4311/2 and 4312/2
> cards including the disabling of A-PHY's on 802.11a/b/g units. The 4311/2
> patch had been in trial versions of the Hardy kernel and reportedly caused a
> regression for a 4312/1 user. I don't understand that problem. If anyone
> reading this list knows of a similar problem, please let me know. Because of
> this history, they are being careful with the 4311/2 changes.

Sorry for getting this thread in a slightly different direction, but it
seems to me that 4311/4312 don't get as much testing as 4306/4318 among
the core developers, which is unfortunate, as the former are used in
more modern systems.

I think we need to get developers a laptop with PCI Express Mini Card
support.  A modern Dell Inspiron would be fine.  I know that it can be
opened relatively easy to replace the card.  I did it twice - first to
change bcm4328 to iwl4965, and then to bcm4311 (without 802.11a support,
so I cannot test this case).  In fact, there is another empty slot in my
Dell Inspiron 1420, reserved for WAN, so it should be possible to put
the second card there.  I'm actually going to try it.  Dell Vostro
shouldn't be much different.

I contributed my part to the funds (no idea why it's not shown, I
forwarded my receipt to Stefano), and there is more than enough for a
minimal Dell Inspiron or Vostro.

Vostro 1000 with 64-bit AMD CPU and bcm4312 (1490) is $434 now in the US
(plus shipping and tax).

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin