On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Ulf Dambacher <ulf.dambac...@web.de> wrote:
> Hi together
>
> To get it right:
> - i have no rfkill hardware button anywhere on the laptop.
> - Yesterday I opened it and there are no unused pins or connectors on the
> card or the motherboard.
> - the computer does not run any m$ software wich could interfere here
> - my dell bios (version A32) sais  the card is enabled and activated and can
> be switched  by software
> - if I boot a kernel 2.6.22 and i use the bcm43xx driver it is happily
> transmitting wireless
> - if i reboot to kernel 2.6.27.9 and use the b43legacy driver it warns me
> that i have turned the device on by software but a hardware button still
> turns it off
> - i8k does not work
> - dell-laptop  does not work
> - Until now, I did not find switch in wmi, acpi,
>
> Now the tricky part:
> - if I hack the b43legacy driver to ignore the button settings IT IS ABLE TO
> ASCCOCIATE WITH MY AP
> - get that again: it transmits some message that my ap obviously  can receive
> and it obviously receives a reply that it is associated.
> - no ip packets can be received, it claims to have send some pings though.
>
> If Michael Buesch sais the driver can not overwrite hardware rfkill,  I thake
> that for granted and  conclude that my card must be on but something else
> holds it from sending and/or receiving packets - rember, its associated with
> the ap...
> This would be in line with the fact that the bcm43xx driver is indeed working.
> And both drivers use exactly the same code to test for the rfkill button. one
> sais on the other sees off.
>
> Im just reading code and  fiddling with all the dell options and wmi and smb
> options to get any hooks on where to find my button
>
> merry xmas and bye
> Ulf

OK, just a few thoughts on this.. you obviously have some sort of
issue that's preventing you from using the new b43legacy driver.
Unfortunately, you've only tested the latest version of the driver and
nothing prior. Before blaming b43legacy as the cause, you should first
try to determine if the b43legacy driver ever worked on your system.
Doing a git bisect of the kernel tree should help you determine the
point at which it worked or didn't work and eventually find the commit
that caused the issue. If git bisect reveals the b43legacy driver
never worked on your system since it's inclusion into the kernel and
the last version of bcm43xx did work then you can blame the b43legacy
driver. Until then, like Michael, I am suspect to believe the
b43legacy driver is the cause of your issue.

Regards,

David Ellingsworth