On Jan 23, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Michael Buesch wrote:

> On Friday 23 January 2009 20:18:52 Francesco Gringoli wrote:
>>> Nothing. Why do we need to have different names?
>> Well, I was only considering a question raised by John, we can surely
>> maintain these names.
>
> I guess I missed that. What was the question?
> Note that proprietary and open firmwares are in separate
> directories, so
> I don't see why we should rename them.
> Renaming firmware is a huge pain. We did it several times in the
> past and
> I really want to avoid it. It creates a major confusion for users
> for some months.
Sorry sorry sorry and sorry again... it was a Larry question, not
John's... pardon me

-- Is using the Broadcom names for the firmware the best course of
-- action? What if the opensource firmware files were named something
-- like "os-ucode5.fw", etc. and b43 were coded to check for those files
-- first? It would then fall back to the standard firmware if the
-- opensource version is not found.

However, it's not a problem maintaining these names.

>>> Yes, well. You're not intermixing an earlier discussion into this,
>>> where
>>> you didn't indicate opensource capabilities to the kernel.
>>> If you indicate OS capabilities, you can use whatever offset you
>>> want, of course.
>> Excellent. We will modify the firmware accordingly and encode the
>> options.
>
> Thanks. Would be nice if you could also do the corresponding driver
> patch.
Ok, it should be simple.

>>> Yes, the old format is deprecated and will be removed soon.
>> Ok, first task in the todo list!
>
> Well, doesn't need to the the first one. Just note that support for
> this is
> scheduled to be removed in summer 2008. So if any problems show up
> (broadcom
> releases yet another API, for example), I will immediately remove it.
Well, it's the first because it's the easiest :-)

>> Ok, thanks for the hint. I will check,
>
> There are a few things we're not yet sure about.
> For example the operand for the GPR number got an additional bit.
> But we're not sure if the real number of GPRs also was doubled in
> the hardware.
> There are a few FIXMEs in the code for this...
> I think this simply has to be tested by trial and error.
Thanks, I will surely check this.

Cheers,
-FG

> --
> Greetings, Michael.

-------

Francesco Gringoli, PhD - Assistant Professor
Dept. of Electrical Engineering for Automation
University of Brescia
via Branze, 38
25123 Brescia
ITALY