On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:41:49AM +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:

> And it seems to be working well. No errors so far. I've just downloaded
> a kernel, browsed slashdot a bit. I'll test it some more tomorrow but
> this is a BIG step in the right direction. This is the first kernel
> that's worked for me with CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y

I should emphasise that this patch works by effectively disabling deep C
states on your CPU, which in turn will increase your power consumption.
It's very much either a workaround for broken hardware or something that
covers up a more subtle bug somewhere else. If it turns out that it is
required, efforts should be made to limit it to the code regions that
absolutely require this behaviour.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org