On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Michael Buesch <m...@bu3sch.de> wrote:
> Please keep it on-list. This is really important to get this debugged
> properly.

>> > Note that the chipcommon revision on the card is 0x16. That's a pretty
>> > high number.
>> > I wonder if they changed something and there actually _is_ an sprom on the
>> > card,
>> > but there's just a new way to access it (or the shadow area has to be
>> > mapped through
>> > chipcommon first or something like that)...
>>

>> It's an acer aspire one d250 netbook
>
> Nice. Is it possible to open the device and take a picture of the card?
> It's trivial to find out this way whether it has a SPROM or not, because it's
> a separate chip.

Hmm... this kinda reminds me of when the SPROM died on my Asus 4318,
causing it to display as a "14e4:0008", and freeze immediately upon
any SPROM read/write attempt. Quite possibly we have something similar
here (there is an SPROM, but it's broken - without an SPROM, the card
AFAIK can't even produce a valid PCI ID).

> Is it this device?
> http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/Disassembeling_the_AAO_D250
>
> Can you open the lower-right cover shown here:
> http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/File:Aao_d250_step2.jpg
> and take a closeup picture of the wireless card?
> Also probably a picture of the backside of the card. That'd require removing
> the card, though.
>
> We really need to find out somehow if there is a SPROM chip on the device
> and if that's the case how to access it.
>
>> You may have a look at the full lspci -vvnn output at:
>
> Nice, thanks.
>
>> I did a "read the first word". Surprisingly it succeeds the first time.
>> After that I may still read 32bit words. When the module tries to read
>> the sprom the second time looking for a larger sprom the first read16
>> fails.
>
> Well, my guess is that _any_ subsequent 16bit read would fail from then on,
> because it was still waiting for the bus-ack of the first one.
> If the bus really is dangling, we must avoid to access it in the first place.
>
>> Should I try to dump out the full 16k area reported for the device ?
>
> I don't think that would be useful.
>
> --
> Greetings, Michael.

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)