On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:50:13 -0500
William Bourque <william.bour...@polymtl.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> I was using the B43 (GPL) driver but with the proprietary firmware
> extracted from Broadcom crap with bfwcutter.
> The proprietary driver provided by Broadcom (what you refer as wl?)
> fails to even detect the card. They clearly hate their customers.

I should be very surprised if it doesn't detect your card provided you
are using the right driver (and if you haven't compiled and installed a
driver called wl.ko then so far as the proprietary driver is concerned
you aren't).

If you want to take this further, you probably want to go to
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php ,
install the 32-bit or 64-bit driver according to your system, get the
wl.ko driver working and then try warm booting from that and seeing if
the b43 driver then works for you - it should.  (You will need to copy
wl.ko somewhere into your working module directory by hand - it doesn't
really matter where - and after doing so run depmod -ae.)

Note that this won't compile on 2.6.32-rc* without patching one of the
files in the broadcom package, so it would probably be best to install
it in a 2.6 31 (or earlier) kernel and warm boot from that.

Chris