Hi Allan:
A cow in a formerly vegan household,- how wonderful! Morning and evening
farm chores inclusive of the milking can happen in 2 hours. Attitude and
organization is key and when the family cow knows she is loved and honoured
she will help the process out considerably. As the Mennonite farmer , who
brought Bessie to us, said "The more you treat her as a family member , the
happier you all will be." And right he was.
She could milk for nine months,- max production around eight weeks after
freshening and then give her 3 months rest from the milking while she is
growing a new calf.
Being tied down is sometimes an issue, mostly not as you are no longer
driving to the grocery store for milk, cream , yoghurt, lassie, butter or
cheese. And her caretaker gets a "trip" each time they go to the barn
beginning with that first breath of "internal smell" as Steiner described.
Morning and evening chores were and are for me the most fruitful times of
the day. Meditating with the cow flops as they are placed onto the forming
compost pile.
The cow is the ticket to the correct bacteria available for the land and the
table with no necessity for deodorizers, parasite cleansers, etc.
That wonderful milk is for me symbolic of Peace and Abundance. And I read
with interest one of the last books written by the Dalai Lama where he
speaks of the universal preference of milk particularly a cup of milk will
be the preference to a cup of blood.
Peace and Prosperity,
Barbara

http://www.kootenay.com/~aurora