Ed and all:

Woody here with another two shovels' worth...

Christy's is a perfect example of fitting cow [+ calf] into the routine,
instead of the other way around.  Of course we want _some_ production from
the family cow, and so we incline the routine toward her requirements for
that...but the flexibility in the situation, as opposed to the relatively
and necessarily rigid routine of a commercial or community dairy, is much
more than one would expect, before we actually do it and experiment, getting
creative in our relationship to the wonderful cow being.

I wrote in BIODYNAMICS about the economics of the family cow: "Bessie has
Always Paid Her Way at Aurora Farm", a couple of years ago.  The payoff in
dollars is there, no question, but the payoff in human terms--growth
terms--is prodigious.  One is a better person for the relationship.  It's
made me a better, more nurturing person to have been with
Venus...Bessie...Rosebud...Cheesecake...Angel...Lynda--the cows I have known
up close.

Bovinely,

Woody [PS-for all the folderol about plant-based vs. animal-based compost
material, no one has mentioned the obvious: that the cow manure IS plant
material, run through the most awesome digestive system in the known
universe.]

http://www.kootenay.com/~aurora