From: "Paul Fieber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 4:16 AM
Subject: New to list

> Hi my name is Paul Fieber and I currently live in Merced, Calif.  I am a
Physician Assistant and I work as an alternative health practitioner using
holistic practices.  I use mostly homeopathics and herbs in my practice.  I
have recently purchased a 52 acre farm in the Roseburg, Oregon area.  I will
be moving there in the spring with my family.  This is pure virgin soil that
has never been used for any agriculture purposes.  It is a open gentle
sloping south facing slope that has only had cattle and horses on it.

> I have only just recently learned of BD farming methods.  I have been
getting all my informatin at this time from the Biodynamic Farming and
Gardening Association on the internet.  I intend to use my land for planting
a organic garden for fruits and vegetalbles and medicnal herbs as well as a
small vineyard.
> I would love to hear from others that have started such a project begining
with natural soil that has had not other use.  I would espeically like to
hear from anyone who has put in a vineyard using BD methods.

> I have a lot of questions as I am not sure where to start at this point.
First, should I have the soil tested to see if it will need more nutrients?
How do I prepare a compost pile?  How far in advance should I begin to make
prepartions?  I also need help with planting information and proper use of
water.  I have heard of vineyards using a catapillar to come in and rip the
soil 3 ft. deep before planting.  I hope there is a better method than this
as I really do not want to disturb the soil anymore than possible.  What
books or other reference material would be helpful at this point for a
beginner?  I would also like to speak with anyone on the phone that would be
willing to answer more questions and if possible visit some areas in Calif
or Oregon that are using BD methods.

> I hope to apply the same holistic view to my land as I do in my everday
life and in my profession.  I have a wonderful opportunity to start such a
project and hope to learn as much as possbile from others.  I would
appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide.  Thanks Paul.