In perfect agreement with Allan in this particular, let me add
a few things more:

a) The plants should give back something to the soil. Its root
   exudate as a minimum;
b) Roots have a role to perform in the soil, like opening it up
   for air and water to drain in;
c) micro life has a dynamic relation with the plants under the
   soil;
d) We don't know what kind of energies go up and down the plants;
e) Some plants -- like certain well-known leguminosae -- have a
   very important role of extracting nitrogen from the air and
   bringing it into the soil (with the help of some bacteria)

This list could go on and on. When we do hydroponics we KNOW
we are impeding several things to take place. Probability is
that there are many other things we don't know...

Let commercial growers who want more and more money in
less and less time use hydroponics. Those of us who see the
planet as Gaia should avoid it.

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are