Allan,

In keeping with your anti-hydrolic bias, please don't mention anything on
this list that has to do with aquatic systems, whether fresh, salt or
brackish, eh?

No mention of moose, duckweed, Azolla, watercress, or heaven forfend, evil
seaweed should be made, because of their quasi-hydroponic proclivities.

Let's keep this list on the bovodynamic straight and narrow, buddy.

No phytoplankton need apply.

All turf, no surf, eh?

OK, on a serious note, PCB remediation in a solid state, composting context
has been claimed by one Philip Fredericks at EarthCare Technologies Inc,
www.ecticompost.com  Using high C:N, medium temperature and inoculation with
select microbes, he says he has taken materials with substantial loads of
things like chlordane, PCBs, PCEs and dioxins to non-detect at parts per
trillion.

He says, and I quote:

"The organisms that break down the chlorinated compounds are mesophiles that
do their
work in mid temp, high C/N ratio, aerobic environs that the "Compost Man"
and
other experts still avow cannot be done. In the presence of high nitrogen,
these microbes will NOT produce the enzymes that convert these compounds to
H2O, CO2 and free chlorine gas."

Other researchers are excited about the potential of white rot fungi to
remediate recalcitrant materials. I did a bit of web searching the other day
and found a number of sites discussing this:

See http://www.msu.edu/user/michel/pcbrefs.htm

http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/1995/Suppl-5/abra-abs.html

http://bib.gbf.de/ergebnisbericht/1998/englisch/section_c/c4/c4-1english.htm

http://biology.gcsu.edu/facultyres/Andrei_Barkovskii/facultybarkovskii.htm

http://bib.gbf.de/ergebnisbericht/1997/englisch/section_c/c4/c4-1english.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:byakUN8YDbkC:www.mcilvainecompany.com/s
ite/sitenl24/Japanese%2520Firm%2520Uses%2520New%2520Fungus%2520to%2520Treat%
2520Dioxin%2520in%2520Soil.htm+bioremediation+dioxin&hl=en

http://www.ftns.wau.nl/imb/Publication/journal.html

http://www.ftns.wau.nl/imb/research/wrf/xeno.html

http://www.ftns.wau.nl/imb/research/wrf.html

http://www.wkap.nl/prod/b/0-306-46102-1?a=1

(some cutting and pasting of the above urls may be needed)

Another interesting website mentions the potential of earthworms in
assisting remediation:

http://soilwater.ucr.edu/andrew_profile.htm

I harbor no ill will towards you, Allan, for leaving your down-to-earth
terrestrial bias and taking us out to sea in this aquatic anaerobic news
item, but in the future please don't tease the hydroponicists with such info
when perfectly earthy alternatives seem to be worth digging into.

;-)

Frank