I really appreciate everyone who is trying to help me, both on list and off. It really means a lot to me.

First of all, I thought I'd share a little more about why we are doing this. I know I probably come across as a little too idealistic, but I'm really not. I KNOW that we have a hard road ahead of us, but it's the road we want.
I don't share this with too many people, because most already think I'm crazy enough as it is, but most here seem to be just as crazy as myself ;-), so what's the harm, eh?

I had run across the Sally Fallon info, and we were getting frustrated about not being able to find or afford a lot of the foods we needed, but we still had never considered having a farm of our own. Then one night I had a dream, only it felt like so much more than a dream. It was about farming and all we are to do with this venture in the future. I didn't tell my husband about it, because I had already drug him through so many changes (we homebirth unassisted, unschool the kids, the last doctor visit was the one that caused the autism in my daughter - the youngest two have never been to a doctor EVER, etc, etc, etc). Luckily, Michael is a pretty cool guy, and he has jumped right in on all of these changes, but for the first time, he seemed really happy with his job and where we were living, so I didn't want to spoil that for him. Anyway, abut 2 weeks later, HE brought the subject up. Turns out he had the same exact dream the same exact night. Ever since then, everything has just been falling into place. We KNOW this is exactly where we need to be, and this is what we need to be doing. Interestingly enough, there are even roadsigns here that we had both never seen before, yet we both saw them in the dream.  So to us, it doesn't matter what it takes, we are ready and willing, and we have never been happier! My children are all thriving here, and just are absolutely in love with life. My 7 yr old has become so responsible since moving here. Half of the time she is up at the buttcrack of dawn and has already gathered eggs and let the goats and chickens out. She spends a LOT of time with the goats, she just can't get enough of them. This move has been incredibly good for all of us.

I was going to answer everyone individually, but the task just gets bigger and bigger as more people respond :-), so I thought I'd try and answer most here.

I don't know exactly, but I am guessing that the dimensions of the manure in the barn are somewhere around 25'x15', and about 2 1/2-3 ft deep. It's pretty compact. On the first layer is a lot of fresh straw, but underneath, the rest all looks like really black dirt. Basically, the previous owner just kept adding more straw to the top to keep it from smelling (you can't smell goat poo in there at all, unless you start digging around with the pitchfork a bit), and all of the previous straw seems to be broken down. The barn floor is definately dirt.
About worms, do you see them much in the winter? I haven't really seen any critters around here other than wooly worms and lady bugs (by the TON! - which is another question I have. Would this many lady bugs be an indication of anything? I know they are good bugs, but it doesn't seem right to have so many so out of balance with everything else), but we have only been here since Jan 1st, and have not seen the critter activity outside of winter.
The barn has a big access door for big equipment, just last week the previous owner (who still stops by to help us when needed - they just live 20 minutes away in town) drove the tractor into the barn with a fork to put in one of those huge round hay bales.
We do have access to a bobcat, but were told that it had been cleaned out this way last time, and was not really much easier than doing it by hand (of course, it was the wife saying this, while the husband was the one driving the machine, so their views may vary!)

I guess the most confusing thing to me is exactly what we should do with all of this manure. The previous owners have offered access to her fathers manure spreader, but I honestly don't know if that is the best way. If we went with that option, how would we get the preps (or remedies, if it makes someone happier) into it? Do we do that while it is still in the barn - or build compost piles outside and put it in there - or spread it with the manure spreader and put them on after it is spread in the garden before working it in - or 50 other options we haven't even thought of?

I am curious about the pros and cons of raised beds. It seems a lot of people do them, but I guess I don't really understand the full benefits. It seems like a lot of work and money to me, which if they are that much better would be well worth it, but I really don't understand the benefits of them over just using the ground. I will definately keep an open mind about using them if they are indeed better though.

We are not adamant about using the whole 2 acre garden space this year, by any means. Basically, we are in the process of deciding what all we want to plant, and will just use as much of it as we need to get it all planted. My husband is a professional chef, so we will probably have a few things others wouldn't, but I really don't see us needing the whole 2 acres this year. We will however be planting more than others might for individual family use, as we are trying to build up our food storage. In our church, it is common to have a year's supply in constant rotation, which is definately a goal of ours (with canning, the root cellar, drying etc). We would also, if possible, like to set aside an area to plant some of the grains for the chickens (we do not use comercial soy food for them at all, and would be much more comfortable providing food from our own garden for them). The goats eat pasture (shrubs, etc) and hay.

***Key question, you don't mention a greenhouse.  Do you have any possibility for one, or extensive, sunny space in the house where you can raise plants from seed?***

We do have a greenhouse. It's not huge by any means, but I believe it will be plenty big enough for our needs right now. Again, I don't know the exact dimensions, but I am guessing maybe 12'x8'? with wide shelves a little over waist height along both long ends inside.

***Consider getting a cow***

This is one of our biggest reasons for being here! We will be getting Jersey's, hopefully the first will be here sometime in March (due to finances - Bill Gates we are not!) We have a lot of pasture, but we definately hope to improve it over time as well.

***Oh...and start with good seed!***

Absolutely! We will be choosing only nonhybrid seed, and will definately be learning to save our own.  Any reccomendations of where to order from?

***Understanding Jennifer's intention to do a CSA, it still wouldnt be too much to cultivate that extra at the same time... planting the first veggies in a half acre.... but prepping the rest of the designated 2 for the next seasons with sown cover-crop (unless there is already something suitable in place).***

I need to find out what is there now. I will write the previous owner today and find out.

***Especially if there are any variations in drainage characteristics, it would prudently give more ready choice for alternate rotations... as the ensuing seasons bring their moisture-level clues, and you have to act quickly especially if you have obligations to a csa.***

I will also talk to Teresa about moisture levels and see if she can help here at all as well. We have become quite good friends, which is proving to be very helpful. She never wanted to leave here, but unfortuntely, the dream was not one her husband shared, and she decided to give up the fight. She is very excited to see us living her dream, and is very much hoping for our success so that she will have access to good food.

As far as CSA obligations, I guess a different name would be in order, but I don't know what exactly.  I know it sounds awfully ambitious but here is what we were shown in the dream. Basically, for those who want fresh produce, we will charge a 'membership fee' every year, something not very big (one of our biggest goals is good food that is affordable to families like ours - I know many others disagree and will charge all that they possibly can, but this is exactly why our family could never get good food. It is not because we are spending money unwisely that we couldn't afford good food - it was because we had decided for me to stay home and to raise our own children rather than putting them into the hands of the 'experts' - daycare and school - it is a shame that the people who care so much about their children are also generally the ones who can least afford to feed them well). This membership fee will give them a discount on our produce (which will be available for non-members also). There will be a sliding scale, one price for people who come and pick their own, another for people who have us pick but come to pick it up, another for those who have us pick it and take it to a drop location, etc. This will always be a part of what we do, but there is another side also. I know this will take awhile due to having to go through a lot of government red tape first, and getting all of the necessary equipment (a big walk-in freezer, seperate kitchen, etc) but this was a big part of what we were both shown in the dream. We will be providing ready made food (like you would find in the freezer section in a grocery store), only made with food grown and prepared properly (frozen foods, lacto-fermented veggies, all kinds of sourdough goodies, etc). My husband is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, and is so happy that he will be able to use his skills on something he really believes in and is passionate about.

So anyway, I know it will take years to get to where we need to be, but we are sure having a lot of fun in the process :-)

***To quote John Phibrick about 30 yrs ago, when i was just starting:
Never plant a larger garden than your spouse can handle!!***

LOL!!! I will be sure to share that one when Michael gets home.

Again, thank you all for your help. I am sure I have a million and one more questions, but my mind is blank at the moment, and I am needed by a child, so I will end for now.

Jennifer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Click here for the best diet and nutrition information you will ever find!
www.westonaprice.org
"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In
both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be
most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become
unwitting victims of the darkness."
-- William O. Douglas