----- Original Message -----
From: John Lakey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 1:24 PM

John Lakey wrote

>   Australian  soils are very old, much of the original mineral
characteristics from
>   the  parent  material  has been leached out and 2% OM would be
considered
>   pretty  good.

John you are right of course
  but dont lets forget that those same soils have withstood 40000 plus years
of constant and relentless burning. Aboriginal culture was the culture of
the firestick.To the extent that most of the modern day vegetation consists
of strongly fire adapted species (Eucalypts wattles etc) The recent Sydney
bushfires are a prime example of the need for frequent burning or heavy
grazing to maintain order in the bushland now that Aboriginal fire
management has been removed from most areas. There really was no opportunity
to accumulate decent levels of organic matter even if the climate had
favoured it. We hear a lot about our old worn out soils but given reasonable
rainfall and sensible management most will produce at a decent level without
a great deal of drama. I think we are lucky that we have not yet toxified
our soil to the same degree as some overseas - North America in particular
Cheers Lloyd Charles