>>Dear Allan,
>>
>>I have met Hugh during at least one Acres conference.   Unfortunately, I
>>would disagree on many points given in his email below.
>>
>>Reich was a natural scientist with nothing to compare him with Hubbard or
>>Scientology.  Reich's use of new terms was justified, based upon the
>>observation of new phenomena which were not previously known or observed,
>>and which demanded explicit descriptive terms.  Terms such as Chi or Ki, or
>>Prana or the numerous other synonyms for "life-energy" may superficially
>>sound the same, but they lack the specificity of descriptive precision as
>>compared to Reich's terms, which have significant empirical support.   For
>>example, most all advocates of Chi, Ki or Prana will inform you that it is
>>a non-physical energy beyond the here-and-now, which is why only
>>specialized spiritual exercises, or spiritual experts, can make full
>>contact with it.  One has to "master" such things, become a "master", along
>>the road where "devotee" is the first step, to really get into the deeper
>>essence of it.  Very little substantive research has gone into
>>investigating the basic nature of the energy, except to demonstrate that
>>people can subjectively feel it, and affect it.

Dears

 While I would agree there hasn't been anywhere near enough empirical
research done with Chi, Ki or Prana there is the William Tiller work. I
don't find Tiller a very helpful writer, but he clearly has done a mountain
of research into subtle energies and in many ways has gone beyond Reich or
even Steiner.

In the east there has long been an initiate/guru method for passing along
hidden knowledge. You might call it a propriatery set-up. In the western
scientific tradition we tend to strive toward publishing all the details.
It is more of a laissez faire set-up. This doesn't change the phenomena
behind the traditions, of course. It's still the same universe whether one
grows up in Tibet or Austria, China or America.

Also I might add that Steiner, Hubbard and Reich all were scientists and
had at least this much in common that cultists tended to follow in their
wakes. I wonder what Trevor Constable might say on this subject.

Best,
Hugh