FRIENDS OF THE EARTH INTERNATIONAL
HIVOS

PRESS RELEASE
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF FARMERS' STRUGGLE APRIL 17TH

For more information contact:
Juan Lopez, +31 (0)6 11 228 519
Inez Staarink, +31 (0)70 376 5523

IMMEDIATE ACTION TO PROTECT BIODIVERSITY FROM
GMO CONTAMINATION DEMANDED DURING COP6 MEETING

April 17th. The Hague, COP 6 on Biodiversity. Farmers, farm and
biodiversity advocates, today, demanded at a shadow conference during the
Convention on Biological Diversity (COP6) that a fast track mechanism to
address liability for genetic contamination be developed now.  They also
called for immediate solutions to prevent genetic contamination.

This week news broke that one variety of Monsanto's GMO canola illegally
entered food and seed supplies.  This is the latest development in an
ongoing struggle between farmers and multinational biotechnology
companies.  Speakers cited it as one more reason to take action.

The conference aimed to show the need to take action to protect
agricultural biodiversity and address increasing corporate control over
agriculture, especially in developing countries.  On the International Day
of Farmers' Struggle recognized in locations worldwide, the conference
highlighted the case of a lawsuit against Canadian farmer Percy Schmeiser
by Monsanto over the presence of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) on
his farm.   Other cases of conflict between the biotechnology industry and
farmers around the world were highlighted, as well.

A Canadian judge ordered farmer Percy Schmeiser in March 2001 to pay
Monsanto thousands of dollars because a GM canola variety from Monsanto
was found growing on his field. In a landmark challenge of a multi-billion
biotech company.  Percy is appealing that decision in a case that will be
heard on May 15 and 16.  Percy maintains that he never voluntarily grew
these seeds, but genetic contamination occurred through direct seed
movement onto his property and cross pollination.

"Monsanto cannot control, and has never tried to control, the spread of
its gene around the country side," said Percy Schmeiser.  "I save and
reuse my own canola seed. If farmers are told now that we cannot do it
anymore because our neighbours are growing GM crops that blow in, it is a
clear that our right to save our own seed has been taken away," said Percy
Schmeiser.  The practice of  saving, using and exchanging seeds is a
cornerstone of agriculture.

Many southern countries are concerned about the potential threats GMO
releases present. In Brazil, no commercial cultivation of GMOs is legal
today. The current situation is under threat in the Brazilian Congress. An
exploratory study conducted by independent researchers on nine different
farms in southern Brazil illegally cultivated with GMO soya demonstrates
some of the problems related to the commercial introduction of these
crops.  The study concluded that problems in plant development,
significant rates of herbicide use, and emergence of weeds resistant to
glyphosate (Roundup) are issues that need further investigation.

"The risk of genetic contamination is too great, especially with corn
which is an open pollinated plant.  It is just too hard to control." said
Claudia Schmitt from Centro Ecologico in Brazil.  Centro Ecologico is a
grassroots group working in support of ecologically sound agriculture.

"We don't need GMOs. We have one of the highest levels of agricultural
biodiversity in the world, which is the result of hundreds of years of
family farming.  We don't want to risk it," said Claudia Schmitt.

A third example lies in Bolivia, the center of origin of the potato.  More
than 200 varieties may be found in the Andes.  Bolivia implemented a
moratorium on the introduction of GMOs at the beginning of 2001, but under
pressure of biotechnology companies overturned the new law in October
2001.  According to Maria Luisa Ramos of the Bolivian Forum on Environment
and Development (FOBOMADE), "Biotech corporations are using all methods to
force us to accept GMOs, particularly efforts under the WTO.  We will
struggle against this because if we allow GMOs to enter, our food
sovereignty will be in danger."  Despite the abrupt turn-about by the
Bolivian government, attempts to introduce a genetically modified potato
have so far been delayed.

# # #

Friends of the Earth International is a global environmental advocacy
organization with affiliates in 69 countries.

Hivos (Humanist Institute for Development Co-operation) is an organisation
working to further emancipation and democracy and to combat poverty in
developing countries.

PO.Box 26,434/3-Sri Jayawardenapura,Sri
Lanka.<http://www.oneworld.org/slejf>
phone:(+94-1)873131/827810Fax:(+94-1)883187Email:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive<http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/environmentaljournalists>
Join the list:Send
e-mail<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buy Stock for $4