Steve - Pulling horsetail shoots damages the plant?  I should be so lucky!
I approve of this plant in the right place, but not overwhelming my veg
patch.  I've dug down three feet into my subsoil (solid glacial clay)
without coming to the end of its stolons - I've read that they can extend
downwards for several yards.  Every spring I pull each shoot as it appears,
and appears, and appears....;  after a decade or more, they are as vigorous
as ever.  Of course, if I'd _wanted_ them there....
Naturally, I dry the best leafy shoots for tea making.
Tony N-S.