----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Barrow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 12:02 AM
Subject: RE: Bio-fumigation

Hi Stephen
                  If your friend checks out CSIRO Australia they did a lot
of work in this field which I think showed that the major bio-fumigation
effect of brassicas came from root exudates. This is a strong effect on soil
mocroorganisms. Certainly with canola there is not a necessity to work
stubbles in as one of the major advantages of the whole system was the ease
with which following cereal crops could be direct drilled. We would cross
harrow the stubble - which broke down easily - then use a light application
of roundup to kill any emerged weeds and direct drill wheat into the canola
stubble. You have to admit that for a conventional farmer this leg of the
rotation is very attractive and probably much better for the soil than the
alternative. The massive chemical inputs (sprays and nitrogen fertiliser)
required for the canola crop are the problem.
                   I would think your friend may be better off composting
the greenery - rather than drying it on the soil surface - too much loss of
nutrient back into the atmosphere ??
Cheers again
Lloyd Charles