It is a very common practice add a second calf to increase productivity when
enough feed for the cow is available.
Christiane

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 31/05/2002 15:00:19

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Christiane Jaeger/NRE)

Subject:  Re: Cows

>I've often been impressed with the reverence I've heard expressed on
>this list for the cow and the spiritual qualities cows bring to the
>farm.  So I just have to ask a question that puzzles me--is taking 3 day
>old calves away from their mothers the norm even among BD farmers?  To
>someone unfamilial with cow management, it sounds way to early to be
>good for either mother or calf.
>
>Warm regards,
>Deborah

Deborah,

I guess I'm just the opposite. I don't take them away for abaout three
months or more. Instead when I can I'll add another on purchased from a
dairy on to the cow.

Best,
Hugh
Visit our website at: www.unionag.org