When we were in India we saw many piles of coir being burnt, as they have
problems breaking the lignin down and so it doesnt rot.
One BD farmer was using the coir on the compost, but he was having to brew
up specific fungi, I think Pleurotis was one, (for lignin) and another for
utilising the cellulose. Then it composted well.

Some of the BD farmers are either getting their coconut husks back after the
copra has been removed and placing the husks under the coconut palms for
mulch. The foil fungi break them down rapidly and it also appears this
interreaction is helping overcome the coconut mite that spoils the coconuts.
Some were even placing the coconut fronds under the palms  and they were
also breaking down rapidly.

 The soil biolife under this system was amazing, they used the BD 500 and
CPP (Barrel compost) and horn clay monthly followed by 501 and 508. In some
places  they found they needed to irrigate monthly instead of every two
days!

So in answer to the question of whether you are taking a natural resource
from India and Sri Lanka, not at present, as it is not being used at all
except by those interested in working with fungi.

Cheryl.
Cheryl Kemp
Education and Workshop Coordinator
BDFGAA