----- Original Message -----
From: Merla Barberie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: BD Now <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 6:10 AM
Subject: Help on buying a Refractometer

Hi Merla

> I have questions.  Do I want ATC or not?
Yes - it saves having to calibrate the thing repeatedly

> What is the significance of .02 and .05 accuracy?
Most of us (unless you are an eagle eyed teenager)  won't be able to read it
accurately enough in the field to tell the difference

> What is the significance of the great cost difference among
> refractometers?
a: retailer margin  b: instrument quality (brand name)

> How good a one do I need?
a decent middle of the road one will do fine - our meter man sells for $225
aussie - shoud be about US$110 to $140 for a ATC

> What are people's experiences with their refractometers and which ones
> do you recommend and why?  There must be more brands than I have named.
the real cheapest (of anything) has always got to be suspect for quality and
lifespan. I bet if Herb was buying a rifle scope he would go without rather
than buy the absolute cheapest one?

If you get going with this take time to re read Hugh Lovel's post that you
refer to here. You need to be aware that plant brix is a very mobile thing.
The most value is in the comparison measurements that you make in the same
place and at the same time  .
Even in half an hour the brix readings will change so that if you are
measuring the effect of a test treatment you need to again measure the
untreated at the same time.
Your state of mind and thought patterns as you do it can effect the readings
!!
Cheers
Lloyd Charles