Sent: August 11, 2002 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: : Koliskos on 'Smallest Entities In Agriculture' and The Calcium Process in Nature (long 6 pages)

Hi Allan and all .I have added on chapter ten and a few comments at the very
bottom for any interested in reading that far

 Koliskos on 'Smallest Entities In Agriculture'

> [...]
> opposite thing. If we want a stronger action from a certain remedy,
> we have to potentise it, that means dilute it with water or alcohol,
> again and again, in a rhythmical way.
>
> This is the first and most important thing we have to learn: to
> discriminate between matter and force. Matter can act in two
> different ways: as matter, or as the specific force behind the
> matter. In everyday life we ask only for matter, for quantity, and we
> do not even stop to think, that there is something like a force which
> is active in every kind of matter. Sugar for instance is not only
> sweet  that is one quality we discover with our sense of taste.
> Besides being sweet, sugar has many other qualities which we are
> unable to taste but none-the-less have definite reactions within our
> organism.
>
> Now we must raise another important question: What do we want in
> reality? The substance itself, or the inner quality of the substance?
>
> For instance, a farmer may be convinced that his soil needs lime. How
> does he solve the problem? Usually he digs a large amount of lime
> into the soil. Again and again he will dig in lime.
>
> Let us now study the influence of "smallest entities" of lime on the
> germination of wheat. We put a certain number of seeds in a control
> dish with water. Then we dissolve one gram of calcium hydroxide in
> ten parts of water and shake the mixture for some minutes; then we
> have the first potency or a dilution of 1: 10.
>
> We take I part of the first potency; mix it with 9 parts of water;
> shake for the same time, and we have the second potency, or a
> dilution of 1:100. We may continue this process of diluting as long
> as we like. Usually we make our experiments up to the 60th potency.
> Having finished all the potencies, we insert the carefully selected
> seeds, and, a few days later we compare the results.
>
> The seeds inserted in he first potency of lime scarcely start to
> germinate. The effect of lime in such a high concentration  is thus
> proven unfavorable. The seeds in the 2nd potency start to sprout,
> while while those in the water control are much more advanced in
> growth.
>
> The 3rd potency is more advanced than the 2nd, the 4th is of about
> the same value as the water control, the 5th already surpasses the
> water control and has definitely better developed roots.
>
> The 6th potency is more advanced than the 5th, and the 7th and 8th
> potencies show still more increase in growth. That means, if we
> observe these few potencies, that a dilution of 1: 100,000,000 of
> lime produces a much better growth than a lower potency. The lime
> works much more powerfully 9 we use a minute quantity. Whenever we
> have to introduce lime into the soil we need not dig in a ,'large
> quantity of the solid matter, but spray a certain potency carefully
> on the surface of the soil.
>
> It is an easy, and a very economical way of helping the soil which is

Chapter X THE CALCIUM PROCESS IN NATURE
Calcium also, like silica, plays a great part in Nature, and farmers and
gardeners have to know something about the calcium content of their land.
Our first question must be about the origin of calcium on our planet earth.
Where did it come from? Huge mountains are built up from this substance.
The limestone we find in the South Sea Islands originated from corals; that
means it comes from the animal kingdom. Much of the mountain region in the
Alps, is also built up from corals (the Bavarian Alps, Wetterstein
Mountains, Jura Alps, etc.). We find everywhere that limestone originates
from the shells of living beings. If we look at marble, for instance, the
pure, white, crystallised Carrara marble which is used for sculpture, for
building material, etc. - it seems to be a perfectly lifeless mineral
matter. But here and there we find petrified corals in the quarries.
Of course lime can be dissolved in water (not so silica), then it
re-crystallises and looks like dead mineral matter, with no connection
whatsoever with life. Nevertheless, calcium originates from living beings.
We have already mentioned the publication by Professor Vernadsky, the
Russian geo-chemist, and must mention him here again, because he has
collected an immense amount of material which proves beyond any doubt, that
all the lime we find on earth has been derived from living beings:
"omni calx e vermibus." Dover cliffs consist of pure white chalk, the
deposit of millions and millions of shells from tiny living creatures, the
Foraminiferae.
And as for Coal - everybody knows that it is the remains of plants belonging
to previous epochs of the earth's evolution. The same can be said about
Slate.
Today science is coming to the conclusion that nearly all the mineral
deposits are derived from living beings, that they are the remains of plants
or animal skeletons.
It is interesting to remember how geological classification came about. An
Italian scientist, standing in the Plain of the Po and looking towards the
Alps, noticed that different layers were to be seen in the rocks, and he
called the lowest one the "primary" rocks, the next layer "secondary," and
the next "tertiary" - these are the limestone formations; and the next was
the "quaternary" (Alluvium). That is the origin of our geological
classification. At present we count some twelve or thirteen layers, because
later some sub-divisions were made.
In these different layers of the earth the remains of specific animals are
to be found. The geologists call these animals index fossils. In a
particular layer certain specific shells or snails are to be found - so
wherever such fossils appear one is able to say to which geological period
they belong. Thus the principles of geology are based on the presence of
certain petrified animals. The old layer which does not contain fossils is
called "archaic."
The question is: Do we not find specific animal residues there because there
was no life? Or is it possible that everything was life, that the whole was
permeated with life?
If we study geology, and see how much life there has been everywhere, we
cannot really think there can have been any epoch in our earth evolution
when there was no life at all. There is a certain place in the Jura
Mountains - Hoizmaden - where nearly all the huge petrified animals have
been found, and which now can be seen in various museums all over the world.
In Hoizmaden (Southern Germany) we find the Triassic Slate Formation. This
layer is full of animals. Life cannot be created out of dead matter, but it
is the life-process which deposits dead matter. As in a swamp, where all is
permeated with life, with slugs and worms and insects, etc., so we have to
imagine that once our earth was in a more liquid condition - between solid
and liquid - but full of life. The whole of earthly matter was living
substance.
If we can grasp this, then we can understand better how the whole mineral
kingdom of bur planet earth has originated out of such living creatures. The
earth as a whole was once a huge living being.
There is ample material to prove this as far as the lime and calcium process
is concerned, and also for many other processes in nature. The Russian
scientist Vernadsky, who has made extensive geologi-cal investigations, is
convinced that living beings and dead matter have always existed side by
side. He is convinced of the "eternity of life on earth." Life, as such, has
never been created on earth -but dead, lifeless matter has originated from
the life-process itself. For instance, a living substance like
85

protoplasm, contains many different substances which cannot be discriminated
from one another so long as they are in the living organism. If the living
organism is killed, then, of course, all the different substances become
apparent. In a similar way, life was interwoven in the origin of our planet
earth.
In speaking of Silica, its resistance to heat and to acids was mentioned,
and that it is insoluble in water. Neither heat nor water affect it. With
calcium it is different. If we want to understand calcium as a substance,
then we must observe, for instance, how it slowly crystallises out of the
water. It is deeply connected with water, but has also the tendency to form
a deposit. But lime can only be dissolved in water, if there is also a
certain amount of carbonic acid present. If the carbonic acid evaporates -
lime is deposited.
That is a general law we find in Nature. If out of a medium something
evaporates into the air, another part solidifies, and falls to the earth.
So we see the lime wandering between tlie solid and the liquid state. This
substance has a certain desire, as well for the one as for the other kind of
existence. It is eager to be dissolved in water - but it is as eager to fall
out as a deposit again. This process is carried out with the help of the
carbonic acid. In the sea there are thousands of species of animals and
plants which collect calcium. In the living organisms we find exclusively
calcium-carbonates.
Calcium-sulphates are deposited from concentrated solutions, where there is
no more life left. Calcium sulphate or gypsum can be dissolved in water. For
instance, all the Italian mineral waters contain some sulphur. In gypsum we
have not only the qualities of calcium, but those of sulphur as well.
Calcium carbonate can be dissolved in water containing a surplus of carbonic
acid; it can be burnt and the carbonic acid driven out; and then we get
quicklime. If lime is heated it begins to emit light, the so-called
Drummond's lime-light. This burnt lime has an enormous desire to get into
contact with water. If it is slaked the water disappears rapidly into the
lime, and begins to boil. The lime has become an alkali.
Calcium Nitrate is formed during the disintegration of nitrogenous organic
substances in the presence of calcium.
Calcium Phosphate treated with sulphuric acid, becomes soluble in water;
mixed with calcium phosphate in about equal proportions, it is used as a
"fertilizer" under the name of superphosphate. Lawes of Rothamsted worked
out and patented in 1842 a method for doing this on a large scale. This was
the first artificial fertilizer.
Calcium fluoride we find in Nature, sometimes in beautiful crystals, as
fluorspar.
Again we turn back to silica. It was said that silica is found more on the
surface of the earth and less the deeper we go down beneath the surface. The
plants deposit silica more or less in their peripheric parts. In the animal
kingdom we find it also more or less deposited in the peripheric organs, or
forming the shell of the lower animals. The same phenomenon happens in the
human organism, where silica is to be found in the skin, nails, hair and
eyes.
Lime, on the other hand, withdraws inside the human body and forms the
skeleton. If we look at the way the different substances are distributed in
Nature, in all the different kingdoms of Nature, if we try to follow up the
steps that are made, then we get a better understanding of what we have to
do in agriculture. We must grasp the whole process: the silica-process, the
calcium-process, the sulphur-process, the nitrogen-process, etc.; a
"process" embraces much more than substance alone.
86

>>If we follow this a bit further (thru chapter 11) we see the results of
experiments >>carried out using slaked lime , quicklime and nitro chalk (I
imagine this is a crude >>powdered form of calcium nitrate?) NO MENTION of
ordinary carbonate lime. The >>results for these three were very different
but with a lift at the ninth or tenth potency .  >>Read on-------

Chapter XII
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE HOMOEOPATHIC USE OF LIME
What can we do to bring lime into soil which has an "insufficiency" of this
process?
We have mentioned this in the introduction to the Chapter "Smallest Entities
in Agriculture":
(1)  We distribute lime in a certain potency over the surface of the soil
which lacks lime.
According to our experiments, we suggest using the 9th or 10th potencies.
This is very economical. We owe a great debt of gratitude to Dr. Rudolf
Steiner for his idea of introducing the homoeo-pathic principle into
agriculture.
(2)  In making compost heaps (see Chapter IX, Part III), we spread a thin
layer of quicklime between the layers of the materials that are used.
(3)  In the Oakbark preparation (see Chapter III, Part III), we introduce
calcium again in
homoeopathic quantities into the manure or compost heaps. This calcium comes
from the living plant process in the oak tree, and has the faculty of acting
prophylactically against "plant diseases." In those cases where plant
diseases are to be dealt with and where calcium must take the place of a
remedy, it is better to take it from a living plant-process and not in its
more mineral form as quicklime. The oakbark preparation has to undergo a
special composting process in the skull of an animal. Thus, as a surrounding
for the calcium-containing oakbark, that part of an animal which is also
built up of calcium - the bony structure of the head - is used. If we adopt
these suggestions, the soil receives all it needs of calcium forces, and we
need not dig in large quantities of it.

Your turn!!

L Charles