----- Original Message -----
From: Allan Balliett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 7:44 PM
Subject: Insulin was Re: The Spurious Foundation of Genetic Engineering

> Allan wrote
> Someone also told me that any plant bred by human selection, even if
> the normal plant organs are involved is technically a GMO.
Thats garbage!! They will use any argument without respect of truth of
meaning!! Theres a big difference between selections made WITHIN the normal
genetic variation of a species compared to firing stray bits of crap into
the DNA chain in a lab! I think we should extend the definition of GMO to
include the mental attitude that accompanies this technology. Fr' instance
some of the liberty link type canolas are not GMO - having been
conventionally bred from field selections that were accidentally tolerant to
herbicide - but the system of promoting these as a patented package complete
with agronomy advice, seed, herbicide, all on a acreage contract - this is
the GMO mentality to the back teeth!!!

> The word I need to look out for is TRANSGENETIC, which refers to
> flipping genes in the DNA, sometimes across the species barrier.

You dont see the promoters using this one much - it sounds much less
friendly!
Cheers all
Lloyd Charles