Thanks to Sharon, Mike and Gil for suggestions on cover crops and couch
grass - I'll be trying them all. You're right, I'm sure it's not too late
for sowing. Where I am is north-west England, wet and windy, mild winters.
What prompted the query is the abysmal germination I've had this year on at
least half a dozen sowings of kale, carrots, red clover etc. Poor soil
fertility and not enough water at the sowing time MIGHT be the reasons.
Slugs are certainly another (after germination).

Regards
Teresa