Hi! Peter,
If the cover crop is slowing vine growth, it suggests that there is a
Nitrogen shortage. The cut cover crop and any mulch is mostly carbon and
needs a specific proportion of nitrogen to break it down. It is
important to start with a legume with the right inoculant to help set
nitrogen from the air, into the soil, in a form the plant can use. The
break down of carbon, also uses large amounts of nitrogen, which may be
what has happened. When you get a "nitrogen credit" in the soil, it is
OK to have a non nitrogen fixing cover crop.

The use of the Preps will help the whole process. I also use the
combined compost Preps, sprayed onto the freshly slashed cover crop,
which seems to help it break down.

If you have the time and a good Whipper Snipper, using the line, not
blade, you can make a little guard on a long handle, which you can put
against the butt of the vine and slash right to the butt, at ground
level. I do not see properly managed cover crops as competing. They will
keep out weeds and should produce all the N and C your crop requires.
While they will use some water, if slashed fairly often, they also
reduce water loss from bare soil and the effect of heat on the root run.
In Oz with our mainly shallow soils, it is important to use all of it we
can. A sun dried inch or two is wasted country and it also kills feeder
roots.

Gil