Merla Barberie said:

I am going to learn how to dowse. I'm going to make me a ceramic piece for the end of the string.
I'm going to dowse soil tests.
What is magic? A skill we meet but haven't come across before, technology we haven't used or don't understand, concepts we may scoff at which actually do work.

Take a person from the late 19th Century, put him in a 21st Century room with a viewscreen taking up half of one wall, turn the TV on with its surround-sound speakers and watch him cower in fear in a corner. As curiosity gets the better of him, hand him a mobile phone and ring him up from the landline, watch his expression turn to further amazement when voices come from the little device.

The simplest thing can stupefy the uninitiated: lights that turn themselves on, voice or movement activated doors, the lights of an airliner flying overhead at umpteen kilometres an hour.

Take a person from the late 20th Century, put him in a field with a dowsing rod in each hand, send him away, watch his face crease with joy and laughter as he discovers the magic of energy, commiserate with him when he stumbles back an hour or more later complaining that his hands are 'burning'. As mine do now even when I don't have the rods but there's energy nearby that demands to be recognised. And I do mean 'demands'.

I know that they work. I know what they do. I don't know how they do it. But it doesn't matter. I don't know how cow shit transforms into BD500 either. It doesn't matter. It works. It may be the saving grace of this world of ours, might tide us over to the day we can get rid of the rottenness with which Earth abounds, the same Earth that has so many many wonderful people as well.

And ideas - concepts - magic.

I'm a 'sensitive'. I have been since October 9th last year when a Holden utility older and heavier than the Magna I was driving then smashed into the back of it at a roundabout in Canberra. For several seconds I endured an excruciating pain in my head. Miraculously I wasn't hurt though the car was written off. Since then whenever I've walked across gardens and open country I've been in tune with the soil, landscape, plants. Never before. I'm glad about that for I couldn't have handled it. We do what we do when the time is right for us to do it. For me that's now.

I am not alone. There are many like me about. Don't be afraid to look for them. Even inside yourselves, you might be surprised. I searched for a philosophy for twenty years which would encompass the things I believed in. When I found it, I was staggered to also discover that people I had known for that long and longer, friends and not-friends, believed in much the same things.

Magic. It's all around us. I call it energy. What do you call it?

roger