on 20/11/02 4:25 AM, Merla Barberie at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Liz,
>
> Your course program sounds wonderful.  What is name of it and where are you
> taking it?  What all have you done?
>
> Best,
>
> Merla

Hi Merla.

The course is Ecological Agriculture, Orange Campus of University of Sydney.
(3 hrs west of Sydney) A very small and intimate campus where lecturers know
your name.

In first year I have taken intorduction to Ecological Agriculture, which is
a wonderful journey through agricultural history and thinking, everything
from hunter gatherers to Des Cartes, Rachel Carson and Australia's stance on
Ecological Sustainable Development opposed to the rest of the worlds stance
of Environmental Sustainable Development.  The Biological Environment, Plant
Systems and Introduction to Management were all first semester and core
units. The management unit far surpassed all expectations, a journey of the
self, values, paradigms, working with others along with critical thinking,
mind mapping and lots of other tools.  A farm mentor was also a part of
management and was great learning.

Second semester consisted of one core unit - Soil Resource Management.
Habitat Management which includes everything from vegetation classification,
mammal and invertebrate trapping, conservation classification, contour &
habitat mapping.  Financial Analysis & planning fulfilled part of the
business aspect, learnt how to do the basic accounting, DSE's along with
gross margins and ratios of crop and livestock enterprises. (have cut back
to 3 units a semester to better enable me to live closer to my beliefs)
Other options are Environmental Law, People, Policy and the Environment,
Geology & Geomorphology, Marketing and many more.

The majority of first year has a conventional slant, which was hard for me
to swallow at first, but I soon let go and opened my thinking and heart and
am now very happy I have a better understanding of what conventional farmers
are up against.

Second year begins end of Feb and will consist of Managing Yourself &
Others, Organic Ag, Soil Conservation & Land Rehabilitation, Managing Change
(Inquiry Tools), Applied Ecology, Whole Farm Management and Bio Dynamics.

A 3 year degree, but many of us think we will take it to a 4 yr.  The 9
capabilities are presented to an independent panel at the completion of the
degree and must be met before graduating.  Would be happy to copy these out
if you are interested in the capabilities.  To me it is an essential aspect
as it means, learning is not only from the head, but also the hands and
heart. A way of life.

L&L
Liz