> I just sawed off a dying limb from a tree today, and have the feeling it
> might be good to seal it with something.

Lily

May not be of much help if you do not have access to a cow but I always use
straight, fresh cow manure plastered on the wound. My thinking being that as
it is full of beneficial bacteria (Bd cow of course!!) it can only be good
for the tree. Any wound from perhaps 7mm (1/2") upwards I would dress. To
date we have had no mishaps with the trees. If you are using the calendar
try to keep away from full moons etc where there are increased sap flow.

regards
Ian Buckingham
Maungatawhiri
New Zealand