Merla:

The short answer is that Dormant Oil and Lime Sulfur doesn't FEED the tree.
BD Tree Paste does.  Here's an excerpt from my article on trees at Aurora
Farm, which can be read in full at
http://www.kootenay.com/~aurora/trees.html

In Lecture Seven of the Agriculture Course, Rudolf Steiner sails forth with
one of those astounding insights that makes the reader gasp: the only part
of the tree that is plant-like are the small branches that bear leaves,
flowers and fruit.  The great mass of trunk and large limbs is really
"mounded-up soil, soil that is simply in a more living condition than the
soil in which our herbaceous plants and grains are growing." 2)

 The plant-like parts "are rooted in the twigs and branches of the tree just
as other plants are rooted in the Earth."

 Thus, in Biodynamic practice, we fertilize and cultivate the tree trunk,
that mounded-up, much enlivened soil.

Ehrenfried Pfeiffer says:

  For the treatment of tree trunks, especially to keep
  the bark smooth, to protect it from splitting and to
  heal any injuries, the trees should have once a year,
  during winter, a coating of sticky fluid paste, up to
  the lightest branches.  This paste consists of equal
  parts of clay, cow manure, and sand.  Herr M. K
  Schwarz tells us that this coat prevents the sap from'
  rising too soon and thus wards off danger from frosts. 3)

Pfeiffer goes on to say that he has modified this recipe by adding BD#500
(horn manure) preparation and BD#508 (equisetum);  also, as remedies, he
recommends
an extract of oak bark (disinfection and "preventing pests from breeding"),
extract of nasturtium (American blight), extract of calendula (injuries).
He also suggests a routine washing and brushing of tree with BD#508 in
autumn or winter.

 Two other variations:

Hugh Courtney:

6-9 parts betonite
2-3 parts BD Compound preparation (Barrel Compost)
2-4 units BD#500
1 part rock dust
small amount of linseed or castor oil
BD#508, fermented, enough to make the paste liquid for brushing or spraying

Ferdinand Vondruska:

"1/3 Clay, 1/3 Cow manure, 1/6 milk and 1/6 silica (or waterglass).

'The above  mix thinly applied (spring and fall) to fruit trees, bushes,
roses etc. does work wonders and rejuvenates them within two years
(Forest trees appear not to respond in the same way, I found) Perhaps
hazel, beech and similar trees may do so."

Woody
Aurora Farm. the only
unsubsidized, family-run seed farm
in North America offering garden seeds