There are many good posts  today that gives a glimmer of hope.  Enclosed
are two of them.  Buck up, Allan!

Seeds of conflict
Financial Times
Published: December 18 2002 4:00 | Last Updated: December 18 2002 4:00
4db81a0.jpg

US patience with the European Union's rejection of genetically modified
foods is nearing an end. Having failed to persuade the EU to lift its de

facto moratorium on approving new GM products, Washington appears poised
challenge the ban in the World Trade Organisation. But, far from
resolving
the problem, that would risk turning a tense stand-off into a crisis.

As Brussels acknowledges, the US stands to win a WTO case. However,
there
is little reason to think a legal victory for Washington would cause the
EU
to open its market. Much more likely, it would stiffen political and
popular resistance in countries opposed to GM foods, driving the final
nail
into faltering efforts to end the ban.

EU defiance of a ruling against it would have serious consequences. It
would further undermine the authority of the WTO disputes settlement
procedures, already jeopardised by EU failure to respect a ruling on
hormone-treated beef and by US delays in implementing decisions against
its
trade laws. If the world's biggest trade powers scoff at international
law,
why should others bother to heed it?

EU failure to comply with an adverse WTO decision on GM foods could
prompt
the US to retaliate against European exports. As well as unfairly
hurting
European companies un-connected with the dispute, that would harm the US
by
raising barriers to imports from the EU. There would be no winners from
such reprisals.

Despite the compelling economic arguments against doing so, political
pressures in the EU to counter-retaliate could then become irresistible.
It
has a devastating weapon in its existing right to impose $4bn (£2.5bn)
of
sanctions on the US, which has failed to comply with a WTO ruling
against
its foreign sales corporation tax law. If that right were exercised, the

conflict could swiftly escalate out of control.

The potential casualties are incalculable. But an early one would almost

certainly be the Doha world trade round. Already facing uncertain
prospects, the round would be doomed by a serious rupture in trade
relations between Brussels and Washington, whose close co-operation is
indispensable to the success of the negotiations.

That grim scenario should give the US pause. But it should also have a
sobering effect on the EU. Its ban on GM foods is based on no firm
scientific evidence that they are unsafe. EU policy has been driven by
scaremongering, resentment at US high-pressure tactics and an unedifying

combination of political cravenness and opportunism.

After the mad cow disease and foot-and-mouth crises, European consumers
are
unwilling to accept government assurances on food safety. Rebuilding the

public trust essential to sound regulation will take years and require
real
commitment by EU governments to reform. It will not be achieved by
bringing
to the WTO disputes the organisation cannot hope to resolve.

Understandable as US frustration is, litigation and trade wars offer no
answers where reason, politics and diplomacy have so far failed.
4db820e.jpg
Financial Times of London

New Resource: Experts Pave Fresh Path on Globalization
Testimony on Expanding the Benefits of Globalization to Working Families

and the Poor

Earlier this month, the UNs International Labor Organization (ILO), in a

first-of-its-kind collaboration, joined with the Carnegie Endowment for
International Peace and the Brookings Institution to hold a two-day
discussion on how to expand the benefits of globalization to poor and
working families around the world. Transcripts of this unique event are
now
available
<http://www.ceip.org/files/events/events.asp?EventID=540>online.

The conference provided a timely reality check, as top researchers
reviewed
the empirical evidence regarding the impacts of globalization on
workers,
the poor and on income inequality. Top analysts and policy makers then
laid
out concrete policy alternatives in the areas of trade, employment
conditions and social safety nets, designed to distribute the benefits
of
trade and economic integration more broadly across and within countries.

This new assessment is immediately relevant, as the sweeping advance of
globalization in the 1990s has now encountered significant resistance.
The
slowdown of the global economy has combined with dissatisfaction in the
developing world over what is perceived as a disappointing payoff from
liberalization efforts of the 1990s and criticism that globalization has

done too little to alleviate poverty.

Audience participantsall of whom were experts in the fieldpraised the
discussions for going beyond the cliches about globalization and
avoiding
the usual sterile pro-and-con debate.

To access a transcript of each of the panel discussions listed below,
visit
<http://www.ceip.org/trade>www.ceip.org/trade.

Making Globalization Work:
Expanding the Benefits of Globalization to Working Families and the Poor

December 2, 2002

Welcome & Opening Remarks :
Jessica T. Mathews, President, Carnegie Endowment for International
Peace

Panel I: Globalization, Poverty, Inequality & Employment
Lael Brainard, Senior Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Moderator
Martin
Ravallion, Senior Advisor, Development Research Group, World Bank Branko

Milanovic, Lead Economist, Development Research Group, World Bank Eddy
Lee,
Director, International Policy Group and Economic Advisor, ILO Gary
Burtless, Senior Fellow, The Brookings Institution

Dinner Keynote Remarks
Introductory Remarks: Strobe Talbott, President, The Brookings
Institution
Keynote Speaker: Senator Chris Dodd

Panel II: Are the Terms of Globalization Fair?
Karen Tramontano, President, Global Fairness Initiative, Moderator Nancy

Birdsall, President, Center for Global Development Zanny Minton-Beddoes,

The Economist Gerry Rodgers, Technical Director, World Commission on the

Social Dimension of Globalization, ILO

Panel III: What Role for Labor Standards in Development and
Globalization?
Sandra Polaski, Senior Associate Carnegie Endowment for International
Peace, Moderator Kimberly Elliott, Research Fellow, IIE. Robert
Lawrence,
Professor of International Trade, Harvard University and Senior Fellow,
IIE
Anne Trebilcock, Deputy Director, Policy Integration Department, ILO

Panel IV: Social Protection: What Should National Policies Look Like?
Sebastian Mallaby, The Washington Post, Moderator Ken Rogoff, Economic
Counselor and Director of Research, IMF Carol Graham, Vice President and

Director, Governance Studies Program, the Brookings Institution Dalmer
Hoskins, Secretary General, International Social Security Administration