Not that we've had too terribly cold weather so far, only some frosty
nights, but everyone's insect sitings made me want to ask the list
about my ladybugs. Every November thru January, they hatch out
in droves. In the framework of my windowsills, around the edges of
anything remotely still like the south side of the house. I think
they've got future generations nestled in the insulation underneath
somewhere.
But why now? there isn't anything for them to eat, and it's too cold
for them to be very active, yet year after year, they always do it.

I just now saw a very fresh (very large) snake skin so maybe their
sole reason is to give the other cold blooded creatures something
to feed on during the 'off season'.