We still have some wild bees that apparently haven't interbred yet.
We were all sharing the same leaky water hose this summer and
no one objected. However, we also have some that I believe have
requeened with killer bee queens. When they swarm, I usually like
to go observe them. They have a particular set of trees they hide
their queen in until they can locate a new hive. I always wondered if
I just put up a hive 'they will come'?
Anyhow, last couple of years when their swarm occurred, the
scouts were VERY aggressive. I wasn't anywhere close and they
were buzzing me and making rather loud, agitated sounds, zippy,
darting movements. I didn't linger to test my theory!
I watched a documentary on Discovery or PBS channel some
years back on them. Said the queen's mating flight occurs a day or
so earlier than the domestic bee, so chances of the hive becoming
Africanized is good, if there are any in the area at all. They do
produce less honey but are stronger pollinators than the domestics
with less disease problems in the hives. But, working them is
extremely tricky. People have found that if they wear a complete
suit covering, including a 15 - 20 foot plastic breathing tube to
expel breaths well away from the hive, the bees remain relatively
calm. In the same film, they also viciously attacked a stuffed toy
dog so I don't know exactly how well the breath - theory works in
practice.
Texas A&M put up bee boxes all around our areas trying to
determine the extent of infiltration. I noticed they've either
abandoned them or taken them down so I expect they have
concluded that we now have them in the wild.