Steve--
What are you trying to do? What is the desired influence? What is your source?

Copper sulfate is a potent algaecide and I assume would have injurious effects on other microbes. Obviously it affects fungi, presumably even the beneficial ones. I'm not keen about using it as a spray -- I use a minimal bit on peaches because otherwise peach leaf curl is fatal in  our climate. But I'm always leery and wonder what I might be doing to the soil. I guess it's considered "organic" on the theory that it occurs in nature, but that's not a good argument to me. I can think of other toxics that occur in nature.
Cu is an antagonist to Zn and prevents biological absorption when present as a trace mineral. Of course, Cu and Zn metals are not the same as the ion salts so the action of metal filings may be different.

hey, an unrequieted answer, going through old mails...  Get some copper dust
and zinc dust, the metal filings, place on a large log, end grain, and beat
with a hammer, early morning is best.  Place filings in your stirring barrel
when stiring bc, 500, 501 or 508, this will bring in the desired influence in
the proper way...sstorch

David Robison