This is from a friend who is teaching English in China.

A Newcomer's Impressions
The first words I learned upon arriving to Xiamen from New York City three
weeks ago were "Ni Hao" and "Xiexie". Since then, I have learned a few
others, but these words still count among the most useful because of the new
friends I have made and the many ways in which they have helped me.
Arriving in a country where you can't speak the language, read the street
signs or menus, and don't know anyone presents a challenge that people would
call either foolish or courageous to take on. I had no idea when I got here
where I would live, or find work, or study Chinese and yet, miraculously, in
less than three weeks, I have found all of these things. This is entirely
due to the hospitality and kindness of people who did not know me, but
treated me as a friend. A Chinese woman explained to me that, "Helping
people with no expectation of getting something back is part of the culture
here. It's how we are raised."
American culture is quite different in that respect. There, the individual
is the focus, and all efforts are aimed at improving one's own situation. A
popular philosophy is, "Look out for number one" and a current advertisement
has a successful businessman saying, "I believe in the market. I believe in
me." The cultural message is that selfishness is somehow commendable. Look
out for your own benefit, and only worry about the people around you if they
happen to be your family or close friends. Especially in big cities, if you
dare to offer help to a stranger it can be viewed with suspicion because it
is so far from the norm, and the recipient may worry about your motives and
what you are looking for in return.
Imagine my surprise when Chinese people I didn't know would reach out to me
with kindness. To me, such unselfish giving is confusing, and to use an
American term, mind-blowing.
A recent exception to the American practice of looking out for number one
was the recent crisis on September 11th, 2001. I was living in New York City
at the time, and still feel heartache when I think about the terrible shock
of those first days after the collapse of the Twin Towers. I rode my bicycle
down to the barricades near the site of Ground Zero, and spoke with a
fireman named Rocky who had been saving lives all morning. He was covered
with thick white dust, his eyes swollen and bright red, and he told me he
considered himself lucky to have survived the catastrophe.
Not only rescue workers were heroes, but for a brief period, many Americans
reached out to each other, to give in whatever way they could to whoever
needed their help. And people joined in from all over the world, to send
support and prayers to those suffering. The period of openness and
compassion didn't last, however, and now the current administration seems
bent on a course of aggression, rather than continuing to build on the
international and domestic unity that the tragedy inspired.
I must admit that I was a little nervous about how I would be received as an
American in China, given the current political climate of tensions with both
Iraq and the DPRK. At the different English Corners I've visited, people
often ask whether many Americans support the current administration. A
friend of mine who has been teaching here for several months tells her
students, "I didn't vote for him, and no one I know did!" Fortunately, they
are generous enough not to hold her responsible for US foreign policy.
Other questions frequently asked are why there is so much crime in America,
and why the divorce rate is so high. Social problems are not unique to the
United States, and personally I lived eight years in New York City and never
was mugged or had my apartment burglarized--nor have I ever been divorced,
but maybe that's because I haven't married.
As the Chinese economy continues to grow, and China emerges as a world
power, the country will face many challenges of its own, such as
unemployment and an unequal pattern of development between the coastal
cities and the interior. Regardless of the changes that China is sure to go
through in the coming years, I hope that the genuine concern for the
well-being of others is one aspect of the culture that remains intact. (That
and the tradition of excellent cuisine! Maybe the next column I write can be
about the sumptuous delicacies my tastebuds have enjoyed since coming to
Xiamen.) As I go on to learn more Chinese words than "xiexie," I'm
nonetheless certain that I'll continue to rely heavily on that most helpful
of words, among a people who take pleasure in giving.

Nina Segal
Word Count: 814

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

------ End of Forwarded Message