Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:32:26 -0500
Subject: Update on NYT/Berry Ad
From: The Orion Society <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Patrick Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:       Orion Society Friends and Supporters
From:    Laurie Lane-Zucker, Executive Director
Date:    Friday, February 7, 2003
Re:       Update on NYT/Berry Ad

I have several pieces of important news to report:

Thanks to hundreds of donations from every part of the United States, as
well as a number of gifts from Canada, Europe, Asia and elsewhere, we have
raised the $40,000 needed to place the Wendell Berry essay, "A Citizen's
Response to the National Security Strategy of the United States of America,"
as a full-page advertisement in The New York Times.  The ad rate that we
received was for a "weekday standby" ad, which means that the ad would have
run next week but that we couldn't choose the day.

I say "would have run" because a couple hours ago the Times called
unexpectedly to say that they were instead hoping to run the ad this Sunday,
the day after tomorrow, in Section A.  This means that 600,000 more people
would see the ad and that it would run in their most important section of
their most important edition of the week.  There will be no additional cost
for this change, if it happens as expected. Needless to say, we are
delighted with this news.

Furthermore, we have just finished working with Mr. Berry on a 1000-word
Op-Ed piece that is being distributed by the Prairie Writers Circle to 200
other newspapers across the country, with a message urging them to run it in
their papers on Sunday.  The Op-Ed's caption will point readers to our
website to download the full NYT essay.

We are also sending out, this afternoon, information to100 targeted press
outlets, urging them to write stories about, or to reprint the piece.

And we have started looking for potential donors who might help us print the
same full-page ad in a major, west coast newspaper early next week.

How you can help:

Beginning Sunday morning, the full text of the NYT article as well as a PDF
(Adobe Acrobat required) of the actual ad will be made available for free
downloads on OrionOnline.org.  We urge you to notify your friends and
colleagues about their availability, as well as of the original 5800 word
piece that is printed in the new issue of Orion magazine (we will be giving
away free copies of that as long as we can afford to).

We would urge you to contact your local newspaper and other media to draw
their attention to the essay and to suggest that they either reprint it or
do a story on it.

Once again, we would like to express our profound gratitude for your
willingness to embrace this project.  It has, in fact, been quite humbling
to experience the response we have received to the urgent request sent out
two weeks ago. Bless you.

Mr. Laurie Lane-Zucker
Executive Director
The Orion Society