I know the topic came up awhile back, but SStorch's post about
'sheath material' struck a chord.
Before we moved back to the farm, my neighbor ran some of his
cows over here. They were old and even once I had my own herd,
his insisted on coming 'home' to calve. A few, as they aged, died
here. When I could find them, I'd let the fire ants clean up the
skulls and I'd haul them to the house. If you've ever handled a cow
skull, you know the horn sheath is actually just a loose covering
(after the cow doesn't need it anymore). The horn material inside is
normally much like a large sponge. When the horn is alive, the
sponge is blood-filled and actively moving heat and wastes through
the top of the cow's head, but once the horn is dead, the material
calcifies and looks like a hardened piece of coral that actually goes
the length of the cow's sinus cavity. (Or so it seems to me).
My question is, would 4 - 6 horns from these old, wild (and
hopefully happy) cows be enough to work with the horn manure? I'd
prefer them over anything my vet or a slaughterhouse would
provide, I'd think. And, if I asked my neighbors for their dead cow's
horns, they'd think I was either doing something highly profitable
(artistically), or something involving witchcraft.