Yes, kidding and foaling season is finished here. I had some very
early (or late) foals last year, one very pregnant mare was sold. But
the buyer was afraid to foal out so paid me extra to midwife her for
her. For some reason, I knew it would be a stud colt, and didn't
want to try to get it to weaning, market it and/or get it under saddle
then market it. Didn't want to invest 3+ years in a crossbred colt
with a 19 yr old dam. So, selling her with the foal inter-utero was
ideal for me. (Midwifing farm animals seems to be my forte after all.)

She foaled first of November and they took the pair home (I chipped
in imprinting and halter training on the foal) before Christmas. The
woman totally ignored my work, started doing things that terrified
the baby, and had to have someone start him all over. But that was
after they left here. I'd never tell anyone to throw a baby horse to
the ground to 'show him who's boss'. If I'd known she was going to
be stupid about it, I'd have charged her more!

My other 2 pregnant mares foaled Nov 24 and Dec 10 with fillies.
Again, I have no idea why, but I 'knew' these would be fillies. The
oldest is approaching weaning age at the end of this month, and
she's enormous for a 4 month old baby. The other one, Encanta, is
from my favorite mare and is a living doll. Loves to be around me,
comes nickering up whenever she sees me outside, and thinks I
belong solely to herself. Going to be small, and a 'dirty dun' like her
Mom, so I suspect I'll sell Mirada, the other one and keep her. I find
I really like these dun horses, they seem to have much less hoof
problems, hard hooves, and they always look dirty, no matter how
much you polish them. So, a quick brush and a rag ran over them,
and they're good to go.

then there's the goats. I had made the decision to leave all kids on
their dams if at all possible this year. I was there for the births,
making sure kids knew which end was important, otherwise, the
goats are raising their own offspring. First time in 20+ years, but I
just don't have the 'oomph' anymore to pasteurize milk, bottle feed
and make sure I'm out there milking twice a day.
I milk once a day, or at least get the moms on the milkstand and
check their udders, making sure they're being nursed out evenly,
and take a little for the house when I need it. Except the kids are
really drawing the does down, it seems to be working ok this way.
Out of 7 kids, four are doelings. I had a waiting list for the doe kids,
but I still may keep 2 of the very best ones.

I know this has nothing to do with biodynamics, but it's farm life
and Christy DID ask!