-
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 6:50 PM
Subject: FW: Is the United States Government Suffering from Archetypal Possession?

Forwarded by a friend, this looks at the Bush/US/Iraq scenario from an archetypal standpoint.  - Jeffrey

An archetypal analysis of how the country came to stand at the brink of war.

By Carol S. Pearson

If I was frightened of my neighbor because he had guns and I knew he did not like me, I could not simply declare the need for a preemptive strike and kill him. If I had actual grounds -- say, he had threatened me -- I could go to the police and seek protection or go to court and try to get a restraining order. In either case, I could not say: "Help me or I'll kill him."

If I actually did kill him -- however fearful I was that he might someday kill me -- I would be the one treated as a criminal. It is likely that I would be convicted and sent to jail or executed.

Why?

No law on earth -- for individuals or nations -- allows you to kill people because they have weapons and do not like you. Self-defense requires imminent danger.

How does the above example differ from President Bush's doctrine of a preemptive strike? How is it different from his going to the United Nations and saying that if it does not act, we will attack Iraq by ourselves?

If we should have learned anything from inventing and then dropping nuclear bombs, it is that whatever we do, others will want to do, too. One might even think of this as a kind of karma--what you put out comes back at you.

It is fairly obvious that once some countries have weapons of mass destruction, other countries will want them, including those run by ruthless dictators. They want them for the same reasons we do.

So, if the U.S. decides that it can strike preemptively, then every other country can--and in some cases will--as well. Many countries have good reason to believe that we do not like them. Indeed, our president has even publicly named countries he regards as evil. In addition, he has treated our allies and the United Nations with disdain. It seems to me that it is only the fact of our military might that allows the president to presume to bully the world.

Won't other countries seek to arm to the teeth if they think that at any time we might attack them? It often happens that the bully who kicks sand in the other boys' faces gets beat up when they band together against him.

Figuring this out is not rocket science. The logic that all this inevitably will come back to haunt us seems to me obvious enough--and it seems to be obvious to most of the rest of the world, too.

What is happening here?

Reductive Thinking and Archetypal Possession

Archetypes can possess people -- and whole nations, as well. When this happens, individuals and nations stop thinking straight and just live out the plot of that archetype's story. Given enough fear, the Warrior archetype can possess almost anyone. And when it does, the whole Warrior way of thinking kicks in. We have been hearing it from President Bush.

It goes like this: We are the good guys. They are the bad guys. When we defeat them, the world will be a better place and we will be Heroes.

This makes for a good cowboy movie, but it is lousy foreign policy.

Sam Keene, in Faces of the Enemy, shows how normally reasonable, caring people, if they are frightened enough, will be willing to go to war whether or not it makes sense to do so. Part of whipping them up to kill is to present "the enemy" as less than human, avoiding any empathy with how the other side sees the situation.

For a brief time after 9/11, we had the opportunity to move into a more complex understanding of the world and our own role in it. While grappling with incredible grief and determining how to care for the families of those who died, the U.S. appeared to be open to learning from the event--even trying to understand why many people around the world hate us.

However, in his public statements and speeches in the aftermath of 9/11, Bush told an archetypal story that shut that sort of thinking down. He explained the situation simply, giving only two reasons that others might attack us militarily or philosophically: Either our detractors hate freedom or they are evil. And he demanded that the rest of the world choose sides. Other nations were to be with us (and thus good) or against us (and thus evil).

Unfortunately, for many Americans, thinking stopped there. The fact that most people accepted this archetypal and reductive story is not surprising. People look to their leaders for guidance, especially when they are frightened. Thinking in a more complex way about the world, moreover, feels much more vulnerable than retreating to the comfort of a well-worn story, especially a story that reassures us that the problem is entirely them, not us.

Others who understood the folly of Bush's reductive thinking (or lack of thinking) shut up. After all, how can you say that the Emperor is naked when everyone is raving about the quality of his new suit?

Warrior Story, Outlaw Behavior
------------------------------

As I have reflected on this, I have come to think that although Bush used the Warrior/Hero story as the myth to make meaning of post-9/11 reality, his own behavior seems more Outlaw than Warrior. He seems to have a disdain for the law, acting as if he and, by extension, we are above it.

Domestically, think of his "election" amidst scandalous irregularities, his refusal to release funding allocated by Congress for projects he does not personally favor, and the "reverse Robin Hood" nature of his tax policy (robbing from the poor to help the rich).

Internationally, his threat to take vigilante-like military action against Iraq if the UN does not do his bidding was anticipated by his pulling the U. S. out of the Kyoto and ABM Treaties, his boycott of the Human Rights Conference, and his insistence that U.S. soldiers be the only ones in the world who cannot be tried for war crimes by the World Court.

The implication is that the president and the United States can live outside the law and do whatever they please.

It is, and has been, critical that Congress and the American people reign in Bush's Texas cowboy tendencies. How can we demand that Saddam Hussein abide by international agreements when we do not do so ourselves?

In Search of a More Adequate Story
----------------------------------

So what archetypal story can we use to make meaning of the world in which we live and take right action?

Not the story of the Innocent, I'm sure. It will not help to pretend that the terrorists are not dangerous, that Saddam Hussein is not a tyrant, that petty dictators all over the world are not gaining access to weapons of mass destruction, or that the politics within the United Nations are not Byzantine. Similarly, it is not useful to exaggerate the U.S.'s or Bush's culpability or to underestimate our national vulnerability.

The Magician story may help. People influenced by the Magician archetype tend to envision the world the way they want it to be and seek out partners who share that vision, staying flexible and open to making the most of any avenue toward the realization of these goals. From the Magician's point of view, if we want peace, we need to live a story that is about peace, not war. If we want peace, it is important to understand the world as it appears through others' eyes, and it is necessary that we learn to be peaceful ourselves.

This would require us to face our own Shadow. In Jungian psychology, the Shadow is that part of us that we do not want to see in ourselves, so we project it onto others who we then blame or judge. Typically, people do not notice their own Shadows--but others see them.

When Bush says that Hussein has used weapons of mass destruction before, and so could again, I remember that the U.S. is the only nation to have dropped nuclear bombs on another country. In the context of the time, it was certainly an understandable thing to do. However, the rest of the world would be right to use the same logic against us that Bush is using against Hussein--unless we show some sign that we have learned from the experience and integrated the full horror of what we did into our consciousness.

Within the Magician archetype, it is only when people face their Shadows that they come into their full power. By way of illustration, I refer you to the novels of Ursula Le Guin. Her stories are not just good fiction. They provide advice for powerful and courageous living. In her Earthsea Trilogy, we follow the journey of Ged, a great Magician who has inadvertently done harm, through his magic releasing a monster into the world that he then must track down. When he finally finds this monster, he addresses it as Ged, his own name. In confronting his Shadow, Le Guin says, he makes himself whole. He becomes "a man who, knowing his whole true self, cannot be used or possessed by any power other than himself, and whose life therefore is lived for life's sake and never in the service of ruin, or pain, or hatred, or the dark."

Enlightened Leadership and Care in Choosing the Stories We Live

Our nation is facing very difficult decisions and needs to think wisely and deeply, and avoid self-deception. To understand a complex world, we have to understand our own moral complexity.

Am I saying that if the U.S. government changed its attitude, we would never again have to resort to force to counter oppression anywhere in the world? Unfortunately, I do not think we are at that point -- at least not yet. But it does mean that we would fight only as a last resort to protect ourselves or others from a threat that is immediate. In the meantime, not only would we take every opportunity to find peaceful means of settling differences, but we also would invest in the technologies of peace as heavily as we now invest in the technologies of war.

Eventually, we do need to find a way to put the nuclear genie back in the bottle and contain the spread of other weapons of mass destruction. That can happen only with a major change in consciousness and leadership. What we need now is a leader of the stature of a Nelson Mandela who could help the moral authority of the United States equal its economic and military might. In the meantime, it behooves all of us to refuse to get sucked into a cycle of fear, blame, and reprisal so that we can become as peaceful as possible.

In my lifetime, the Berlin Wall came down, the Iron Curtain fell, and segregation in the U.S. and apartheid in South Africa ended. When consciousness changes, social structures can change rapidly. Someday, it will be possible to have peace on earth--when we heed the wisdom of all the world's major religions and learn to love, understand, and forgive one another.

A Call for Dialogue
All stories that allow us to see reality more clearly can help us think clearly enough to avert disaster. Whether or not you agree with my analysis, I urge you to speak out. This is our country. We have both a right and a responsibility to make our voices heard.

This is why democracies tend to prevail. At their best, they are true learning systems, hearing and integrating diverse points of view and thus acting in a more considered way. But if we let intimidation shut down dialogue--if we remain possessed or entranced by a destructive archetypal story--we lose our greatest strength as a nation.

Carol S. Pearson

For another view, go to:
RECKLESS ADMINISTRATION MAY REAP DISASTROUS CONSEQUENCES
    By US Senator Robert Byrd
    Senate Floor Speech -