Richard

From: Greg Willis
Subj: Horn Clay
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:54:52 -0500

For all you inveterate BD Trekkers, here is a bold new world to enter.
I spoke with Hugh Courtney about horn clay and his observation was that
clay makes the field seem "smoother".  I have been doing it for two
years now and find that, intuitively speaking, the 500-501-clay sequence
seems to complete the process, it rounds it out, brings it to its
fullness.  (Does anyone out there speak "intuitive"?)

I wish I had some extra to pass around but I do not.  You will have to
make it yourselves for now.  Ask JPI to make some.  Or make some with a
local BD organization.

These are the instructions we give our clients.

Greg Willis

#509  Horn Clay

Technical Data

 We make four kinds of horn clay.  We use bentonite clay because it is
available and already ground to a powder.  We pack it in the horns
exactly the same as horn silica.  We call it #509.

 We spray a Spring to Fall horn clay that is applied in the Spring; a
Fall to Spring clay that is applied in the Fall; a Spring to Spring clay
(one year in the ground) for new Spring applications; and a Fall to Fall
horn clay for new Fall applications.  These latter two would be for new
fields and fields in a state of severe neglect.   Thereafter use the six
month clay started at the same time as the spray application.  The year
is divided into Spring and Fall by the summer  and winter solstices.

 Mix a rounded 1/2 teaspoon per acre in rain water or solarized water
and stir for 60 minutes, then apply.  For soils deficient in clay, we
use a rounded full teaspoon per acre.    You will find that a double
application will be far more effective than one double strength
application.

 Horn clay will stay active for a minimum of 3 hours and has a residual
effect of about six months, so it is well to apply it twice a year.

Commentary

 Horn clay is very important to the success of the application of the
preparations.  Without the horn clay, it is simply not possible for the
biodynamic system of preparations to reach its fullest potential.  The
misuse or lack of use of horn clay over the years since the original
lectures has had a very limiting effect on the progress of biodynamics.
Clay works to connect the concepts in the human mind just as it works to
connect the effects of silica and clay.  Those who do not use it do not
benefit from the complete understanding of the what the Universe has to
offer.  So the lack of use of clay, or horn clay, has a limiting effect
on the benefits and the understanding of the basic system.

 Clay plays the part of the mediator, in a sense, like water.  It acts
to connect the various disparate elements of Nature into a coherent
whole.  Without the action and activity of clay to hold it together, it
is not possible for the various elements to carry out their respective
duties.

 How does this come about?  Let us look at clay more closely.  You will
notice that it has a very strong positive and negative bonding
properties.  These properties are representative of the nature of clay.
It holds together or bonds the various elements so that they can work
together.  It is, in a very real sense, the glue that binds the soil
together.  Without this glue, it is not possible for soil to gain the
kind of structure, both physical and etheric, necessary for a plant to
properly exist.  This structure, emblematic of the structure of the
Universe, is what holds soils together.  So we see that the nature of
clay is that is binds and connects, both at once.  These physical
realities or observations work exactly in the same manner in the astral
and etheric worlds.  All work together.

 Why is it important to make horn clay?  This too is very much like the
other remedies.  It is important to at once conserve and utilize the
homeopathic properties of the clay.  Bentonite clay is more than
adequate to do the job.  Other local clays work very well too.

 The horn clay works homeopathically as do the others.  By placing the
clay in the soil as you would horn silica, you are greatly increasing
its power to radiate its spiritual properties over large areas.  So it
is at once more efficient and more beneficial for all the same reasons
the silica and cow manure are placed in the horn first.

 The presence of horn clay in a field will bring together or bind the
various disparate elements that you are applying.  This is the genius of
God.  By further preparing the horn clay as you would the BD 500 and BD
501, you are creating a sympathetic presence in the field as well.

 The horn clay that is prepared in the Fall to Spring gets applied in
the following Fall.  The clay that is buried in the Spring to Fall is
applied in the following Spring.  The clay that is set in the soil in
the Fall and kept there for a full year is best used remedially as a
Fall application in fields that are in a state of severe neglect.  This
would be the horn clay of choice to begin.  The same may be said of the
one year old Spring horn clay.  Apply the following Spring.

 After you have created an inventory of the four horn clays, you will
see that the one year old clay works best as a beginning clay and the
six month clay works best for better agricultural areas which have
experienced the BD approach for some time.  Then and only then will you
be using the six month clay.

 In other words, the one year clay first, the six month clay as time
goes on.

 Horn clay may be stored like the BD 501 in a glass bottle in the window
or it may be placed in the dark.  But it is best to place it in a
bottle, not plastic.  It has a life expectancy of at least five years.
It may be reactivated by placing it in the ground at solstice time
(either one) for about a week.  Place it in the ground in a glass
container only without a metallic lid.  It would be best to place it in
the ground with jar with a cork lid.  One week is sufficient to recharge
the clay for another year.  Much more cannot be expected.

Further Commentary

 Horn clay should be clay.  Bentonite will do but others are in many
ways just as good.  You need to experiment.  Do not use feldspar or
Kaolin as the clay medium.  They are too close to silica and not far
enough away to do much good.

 The difference between the horn clay and BD 500 and BD 501 is that it
should be placed in the ground for the entire year.  It must experience
all the facets of the sun, the moon and the Earth as she rotates and
revolves around the sun.

 The horn clay works to mediate not just between the silica and the
limestone, it mediates between the physical, astral and the etheric.  In
many ways it is similar to oak bark (BD #505).  Though oak bark is rich
in calcium, it is also rich in the astral energy necessary to bring the
plant into bodily form.  It works the same way with the soil.  It brings
it and all that live within into bodily form too.   Even the worms,
insects, and bacteria among all the others.  Everything is effected by
the strong astral energies of the oak bark.  Thus it can also be used to
enhance the areas that have been devastated by methyl bromide and other
life killers in the soil.  It can be mixed with 500 for this purpose.

 Horn clay is best applied in the Spring time.  That does not mean that
it cannot be applied at other times of the year.  Do so only at the full
moon days - three before and three after.  Morning or evening it does
not matter.

 It is not necessary to worry about whether or not it will rain with
regard to the horn clay.  Apply it.  No problem unless it is raining at
the time in a steady rain.   Unlike the other BD preparations, the clay
actually enjoys a little rain at the time it is applied.  It works to
bring together all the astral and etheric qualities in the plants, the
soil and the air and water.  It actually thrives on water.  Notice how
"bloated" clay gets in water.   It loves it.

 Between the Horn Clay and the #800 Stinging Nettle - Basalt tea, you
have two of the most important mechanisms developed to bring the kind of
harmony and balance and healing to the vines that you need to do.

© 1998 Greg Willis.  All Rights Reserved.
Published by Agri-Synthesis®, Inc. . Napa, CA 94581 . (707) 258-9300 .
Fax (707) 259-9393