In specific, many people are talking about StarterWare at:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791.aspx

The answer is yes, *but*. You can do some output on LEDs or the serial port
to debug, loading via the microSD card or serial port, but you'll likely
want to move to having JTAG at some point. The BeagleBone (white) is a good
solution for initial development, then move to Black when you are ready to
make a few more. Adding JTAG can be fairly cheap with the XDS100v2 (~$50).
If you are patient and know how to write your code fairly well, then you
can get by without it and just load-and-run. JTAG is not needed for that,
though it makes it easier. JTAG is only required if you want to step
through your code.