On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:21:14 PM UTC-4, Louis McCarthy wrote:

> Thanks for sticking with me. Knowing that KMS is a type helps me
> understand more about the video system.

Hmm, learn something new.  modesetting is a driver too!  I thought it just
referred to the KMS type of driver, but it also refers to a fallback driver
for X11.

And it only supports a couple of options, one of which is not rotate!

If your using some form of debian variant, you can try:
"sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev"

Install the basic fbdev driver and give that a shot.

You can also try xserver-xorg-video-omap and xserver-xorg-video-omapfb
[the name may be slightly different, so you can also try "apt-cache search
fbdev", omap and omapfb

Now the bad news: I /think/ none of the above will work because they will
only be used by the HDMI display by default.  Checking the device tree
source for BB-BONE-LCD7 I see lines such as:
/* Settings for ThreeFive S9700RTWV35TR / LCD7 cape: */
panel {
compatible = "tilcdc,panel";

My gut feeling is that this specifies the driver to use: ie use the
tildc-panel driver.  You could try exiting x-windows and then running
"sudo modprobe -v panel-generic-dpi" [might need to do "sudo modprobe -v
panel-generic-dpi.ko"]

If that succeeds, then reload x-windows and check the x11 logs to see if
the driver has changed.