Trying to run instructions by Shabaz (
http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/single-board_computers/next-gen_beaglebone/blog/2013/05/22/bbb--working-with-the-pru-icssprussv2)

on compiling device tree. I'm on Linux ubuntu-armhf 3.8.13-bone20 #1 SMP
Wed May 29 06:14:59 UTC 2013 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux (previously I
went all the ways through compiling a kernel version

ubuntu-13.04-minimal-armhf-2013-08-25.tar.xz to the point of booting it,
but I was unable to get any ports open (usb0 or eth0) from host despite
editing both /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolve.conf on sd card prior
to booting and couldn't find a way around). On the current 3.8.13-bone20
based on an image download, I got eth0 working but not usb0. Anyways, am
now stuck again at:

/boot/dtbs\> sudo dtc -I dtb -O dts am335x-boneblack.dtb >
am335x-boneblack.dts_orig

-bash: am335x-boneblack.dts_orig: Permission denied

any ideas? Thanks.

On a separate issue (that I am also stuck on),
in ~/pru/am335x_pru_package/pru_sw/example_apps\>

I copied pasm to pasm_2 in ~/pru/am335x_pru_package/pru_sw/utils and was
able to assemble and make example; did a modprobe uio_pruss as recommended
by boxysean, but am now stuck at:

~/pru/am335x_pru_package/pru_sw/example_apps/bin\> sudo
./PRU_memAccessPRUDataRam

INFO: Starting PRU_memAccessPRUDataRam example.
prussdrv_open open failed
~/pru/am335x_pru_package/pru_sw/example_apps/bin\>
I tried Radzikowski’s magical hack. Create /usr/local/src/pruss_magic_jr,
but this didn't work.
>From Przemek, I found
It works for me but before modprobe uio_pruss you have to load device tree
overlay by something like   echo BB-PRU... > /sys.../cape... Sorry I can't
provide exact form as I'm typing on a tiny keyboard underwater in Florida:)
but am not sure what echo BB-PRU... > /sys.../cape... is: Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Bit Pusher