On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 4:56:34 PM UTC-4, Ivan Korman wrote:

> Any further hint?

So, finally googled skt1160 and after looking through the results, I'm
thinking the issue might be the device.  Based on
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18831&sid=057d5de92feb665cf10f4905c1929e32
 where
you have many different people having varying degrees of failures -
including some where it works only if plugged in upon bootup and not
unplugged, and others where they have to periodically unplug it and plug it
back in - my guess is that because this chip is so generic that the quality
of production is all over the place.

I'd also guess that your issue is related to power.   Even though your BBB
has a decent power supply, I'm betting that TI was very careful with power
regulation for the USB host and it just will NOT supply more than 500mA of
power[which is what it is clearly rated to for and which is more than
enough for any USB compliant device].

Wheras if the producer of your your particular device was sloppy/didn't
care they may need more than 500mA which most PC's these days will provide
despite it being so far out of spec.