Looking back at my notes, I was working with speex-1.21rc1 source code on
the BeagleBoard XM.  I used the following environment setting before make:

CFLAGS = -O3 -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math(?)
-fsingle-precision-constant -mfloat-abi=hard (?) -mcpu=cortex-a8

[I probably experimented with -ffast-math and -mfloat-abi=hard but
eventually left them out.]

The last (working) Makefile seems to have used

CFLAGS = -DFIXED_POINT -Ofast -mfpu=neon -mcpu=cortex-a8
-fsingle-precision-constant -fvisibility=hidden

I can't swear this is the very best way to compile, but it was good enough
for my work.

If I was starting over, I would try http://www.opus-codec.org/ since Speex
seems to be an orphan.

Cheers,
Martin

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM, <sybersn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any possibility I can get instructions for this?
>
> On Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:22:26 PM UTC-4, Martin AA6E wrote:
>>
>> Replying to my own message, in case anyone is interested.
>>
>> I was able to download Speex source and compile with NEON optimizations
>> and -O3.  That cut cpu usage by ~50% compared with the Ubuntu Oneiric
>> distribution library, relieving the crisis for now.  Speex has some support
>> for C55 DSP, but that does not seem to work on the BB XM out of the box.
>> Someone should work on this, but I can't get into it for the time being.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Friday, March 16, 2012 4:35:15 PM UTC-4, Martin AA6E wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu Oneiric libspeex as a voice codec.  For my
>>> application, it can use nearly all the BB XM CPU.  Is there an alternative
>>> that is optimized for the BB's DSP? While it might be good for my little
>>> gray cells, I am hoping not to have to code it myself.
>>>
>>> Any pointers welcome!
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>>  --

Martin Ewing