On 10/8/2013 9:37 AM, tushar gurjar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it safe to power Beagleboard XM rev B with the +5V DC output of PC
> ATX SMPS directly or should a linear regulated 5V supply be used
> instead to be on the safer side?
>
> In other words, does the Beagleboard XM have circuitry to handle 5V
> SMPS supply input ?

Well, the "wall-wart" supplies recommended for the BeagleBone are all
switching-mode power supplies, so the ATX supply should work just fine.

Note that you do need to have enough load on the supply for it to
operate properly, there are different 'flavors' of ATX supplies and they
have different minimum load specifications.  Also note that the 5V aux.
supply (that is on all the time) is rated for 2A on almost all recent
ATX supplies.  I plan on running the 'Bone off the 5V aux. rail so it's
on all the time, and using the switched 5V and 12V to drive my 3D
printer so "machine power" is only active when I'm printing something.
I haven't done this yet with the 'Bone, but it's how I had the Arduino
controller hooked up, and it worked fine.

Also, if you're _only_ using the 5V aux supply for the 'Bone, you don't
need to worry about turning the ATX supply on or having a proper load on
the higher-current 5V and 12V lines.  Just hook up two wires and you're
done.  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net