RESOLVED:

Upon investigating the u-boot output we found we were facing the same
problem reported earlier in this thread by duckhunter: u-boot was detecting
spurious data on uart0 and entering the u-boot console on about 1/20
power-ups.

Rather than making any hardware mods I decided to reconfigured u-boot to
look for a specific key sequence before entering the u-boot console. To do
this I firstly downloaded and rebuilt u-boot following instructions here:
http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-Bootloader:U-Boot.

(Testing with the default config produced the same 'failure' rate)
I then modified '/include/config.h' in the u-boot source files, adding the
following:

#define CONFIG_AUTOBOOT_KEYED 1
#define CONFIG_AUTOBOOT_DELAY_STR "uboot"

This now forces a user to enter the string 'uboot' before entering the
u-boot console, otherwise the device will boot up normally.

Rebuilding with this configuration still gave the same failure rate
however. This is when I learned that the boot files on the eMMC flash are
still loading before jumping to the files on the sd card I am using. So
upon deleting the MLO file on the eMMC flash I had more luck.

We setup a programmable power supply and a script looking at the output of
uart0 to detect whether the device had successfully booted or had become
stuck in u-boot, and then left it cycling power. We were then able to get
many hundreds of consecutive successful boots - we only stopped the test
because we decided it would probably never fail.

So in the end it all came down to spurious data on uart0 - along with
disabling booting from the eMMC. (we could have simply reconfigured u-boot
on the eMMC in the same way, but disabling it drops a few seconds off the
boot time).

Thanks for all your help Gerald (and duckhunter).

Regards,
Andrew Glen.