Under Angstrom we generally we have the automatic mode on. It can vary
between 300MHz 600MHz 800MHz and then 1GHz bases on the settings you pick.
It has four modes, Conservative, ondemand, performance, and power save.

 You can add a control for it by adding it to the top tool bar. To do that:

1) hover the mouse over the top too bar
2) Right click the mouse
3) Click on Add Panel
4) Then select CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
5) Select the Add button

Once installed hover the mouse over it an click the left button. You will
then see what I described above. It also shows you the
current processor frequency.

Gerald