On 10/29/2013 09:50 AM, Ezequiel García wrote:
> Oh, sorry then. I thought you were related in some way to Circuitco.
> Anyway, looking at the NAND cape wiki page, there's a sign saying
> there's no software support for the cape.
>
> Odd as it sound, maybe the cape is really not usable :-(
It seems that the issue is like this:

1) Current U-Boot from git supports (8Bit-)NAND. It can be used by U-Boot (!)
by means of the "nand ... " commands. You can write images to NAND and read
them back.

2) (8Bit-)NAND also works with the beaglebone kernel (3.8.13) when the device
tree
contains a correct gpmc node with

        ti,nand-ecc-opt = "bch8";
or
        ti,nand-ecc-opt = "sw";

Both seem to work. SO you can use UBI on your NAND.

3) But the NAND implementation - probably the ECC schemes - from recent U-Boot
and the beagleboard repository are incompatible. This is the same even with the
mentioned
U-Boot NAND patch by Pekon Gupta applied.

But I cannot tell which side (u-Boot or Linux) is right. Perhaps its a kernel
3.8
issue. I will try a more recent kernel, but perhaps anybody know where it comes
from.

Matthias