I'm trying to use the BBB as a (very) lightweight NAS. Unfortunately, I'm a
bit disappointed with the transfer speed I can achieve over the USB port.
I've now tried different kernels such as Robert C Nelsons 3.8.13-bone28 and
3.12.0-rc5-bone6, different USB storage devices (such as a USB 2.0 flash
drive and a USB 3.0 hard disk), and tried both directly attaching the flash
drive to the BBB as well as using a powered USB hub. The HD of course only
works on the hub. The BBB is running on a 5V external power supply.

Using different tools (hdparm and dd) the USB read speed always maxes out
at about 9MB/s which is far less than the same devices deliver on other
systems (e.g. about 25MB/s on my Raspberry Pi).

Does anyone have an idea why this is the case or how this can be improved?